a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Longest Voyage on a CP27?

Started by Patrick, January 23, 2016, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

What is your longest voyage non-stop on your CP27?  The wife and I are looking to do a Tampa to Key West run next month direct.  Looking for stories, gotcha's, advice, humor?
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Tney88

We've spent 2 weeks straight on board our CP27, in the San Juan and Gulf Islands, but we always anchor for the night.  But in terms of storage space for provisions, water capacity, and fuel capacity, we found the CP27 to be adequate for the two of us for that time.  The holding tank isn't big enough for 2 weeks, but if you're offshore you'll switch your wye valve anyway.

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

frank

Lots of 50 to 65 mile days....
Solo...so no one to do a 24hr with....

Great boat for the Keys and Bahamas!!!  I love auto pilot!
New one installed last year. I'm an ole techno phobe and Ray Marine had the previous style "head" instructions  :-(
crossed the Gulf Sream...Then 55 knt miiles to Great sale.....then on to Manjack.....all by hand  :-(

Finally did what a confident 12yr old would do and kept hitting buttons.....
Pt was to Stb and reverse....
Corrected that and "all good"

Felt foolish after 4 longgggg days hand steering.....
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Awfeith

Have done mostly day sailing with our 27, with a few overnights on the barrier islands off Clearwater. Planning to do Clearwater Keys later this year. Want to do Bahamas in two years and keep the boat over there for a couple of seasons. Keep us posted on your trip. Frank, I did your Bahamas trip in 1985, in a CS33, but had three guys with me, so no need for auto helm.

hoddinr

I've sailed a 27 (Catalina) several times to Key West and the Dry Tortugas, from Tampa Bay.

Pick a good weather window and go.  Should be able to make it in 2-3 days non stop.  From Egmont MOA buoy, it's about 200 miles to the NW Passage light which leads you into Key West.

Have fun,

Ron

Patrick

Quote from: hoddinr on January 27, 2016, 07:19:12 PM
I've sailed a 27 (Catalina) several times to Key West and the Dry Tortugas, from Tampa Bay.

Pick a good weather window and go.  Should be able to make it in 2-3 days non stop.  From Egmont MOA buoy, it's about 200 miles to the NW Passage light which leads you into Key West.

Have fun,

Ron

For anyone interested, it was a blast.  We motor sailed non stop and it took us only 35 hours or so.  195-198 miles non stop.  A great time and good adventure.  The CP27 sipped .46gal of diesel an hour motor sailing.  Not bad!
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

bmiller

Hi guys, long time no type. I check in every few months to see what's going on and comment on threads I have some experience with.

When we owned Pooka we took her to the San Juans, southern California and the Sea of Cortez. All of those trips were multi-week adventures, the SoC being the longest.
I'd say about 3-4 weeks is enough on a 27' boat for two people. Personally I could live on a CP27 just like Pooka's new owner has for the last few years.

Tney88

bmiller, I'm assuming when you did the Sea of Cortez you trailered Pooka to get there....where did you put in?

Terry Ney
SV Paradiso
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Bob23

Nice to hear from you, Bill. I always loved your road rig!!!! What are you sailing these days?
Bob23

bmiller

Terry, we put in at San Carlos. Very nice marina. If you're interested here is a link to photos of that trip.

https://bmiller1959.smugmug.com/Sailingandboating/Mexico-2008/

Hi Bob, funny story. After selling Pooka to Bob we bought a big cruiser and kept it at north padre island in TX. That didn't last long, too stressful owning a boat 2 days drive away so we sold it at a big loss. Right now I'm staring retirement squarely in the face and looking for my next boat. Not certain what it is yet other than a well built coastal cruiser in the mid 30' range.

Bob23

I remember you writing about you big boat dealings. Pooka was a fine yacht and I liked reading about your Sea of Cortez adventures. My, I still have my little 23. She's just fine for what I do.
Bob23

bmiller

Pooka is still a very fine yacht. I keep in contact with her new owner, he has done her well and traveled far. It makes me happy.

Tney88

So that is the marina at Guaymas?  How is the trip down from Phoenix?  Any issues at the border bringing a boat across?

Terry

Quote from: bmiller on March 09, 2016, 09:51:11 PM
Terry, we put in at San Carlos. Very nice marina. If you're interested here is a link to photos of that trip.

https://bmiller1959.smugmug.com/Sailingandboating/Mexico-2008/

Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

bmiller

The marina is not in Guaymas, it is in San Carlos. A much smaller and nicer place.

I had no issues bringing the boat down, just make sure you get the TIP and stop at K21 for your visa. There is a forum (of course) dedicated to life in San Carlos. They can be a big help.

http://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/

ewosbor

We sailed/motored the ICW from Baltimore, Md to Palm Beach Gardens, Fl. in the fall of 2014.  Spent 2 months on the boat.  Left Baltimore on 9/2 and arrived in Charleston, SC on 10/2.  Left Charleston, SC on 10/22 and arrived in Palm Beach Gardens, FL on 11/15.  We stayed at marinas along the way and did not anchor out. 

Before leaving Baltimore we did increase the holding tank.