a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Early Westerbeke in Horizon Cat not functional

Started by Tom L., December 28, 2015, 09:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

I have heard that the early 1 cylinder Westerbeke engine is a bad engine. Not repairable nor reliable. Has anybody heard that?  A broker has recommended that the engine should be removed and an outboard installed to replace the old engine.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

CaptRon28

The older HC's came with the one cylinder Yanmar. Not sure if a one banger Westerbeke was ever used. I think the newer models have a heavier 2 cylinder Westerbeke as an option. Any one banger diesel will sound something like the motor in the movie "The African Queen" and will probably have no heat exchanger in the cooling system, meaning that sea water will be pumped into the block and head. If it's salt water then something like Salt Away should probably be flushed thru it at least once a year. Never heard on one being unreliable or not repairable.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

Craig

Never heard Westerbekes are "bad" engines. Just more expensive to maintain due to cost of parts. There have been several iterations of diesels in HCs. The current engine is a 14 hp 2cyl Yanmar which is what we have in Kailani. Reasonably smooth and quiet. We are very happy with it. That being said I would not automatically rule out the Westerbeke if it has been well maintained and is in good shape. A rebuild(if needed) should be considered prior to converting to OB  power IMHO.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

frank

Westerbeke are not "bad" engines. Westerbeke convert's other manufacturer's engines to marine use. The westerbeke 12hp in Emma B is a Mitsibushi. Starts easily, runs well. I've had Westerbeke in 2 other boats with no issues. In the past I've met cruisers that prefer Westerbeke......although they would not be my 1st choice for reasons other than reliability.
Beta would be at the top of my list for 2 reasons. like Westerbeke....they convert other's engine....in Beta's case, Kubota. I've run Kubota tractors since 1994 and can attest to their reliability. For me...a huge confidance factor due to personal history. Secondly...they do their mods in such a way that performing your own maintenance is SO easy!!  Why don'r others do the same? The waterpump impeller mount is up front making it a 20 minute swap. Oil and fuel filters the same. They thought of the owner doing maintainance....others don't  :-(
That said, your little single should have reasonable access to filters and impeller due to smaller size.
It should be noted that the switch from singles to twins was only done due to regulations. The singles...Yanmar, Westerbeke, Beta etc simply could not meet current emmisions standards. That is why you don't see them anymore.
So....getting back to your dilemma...
A new 6hp sailpro with 5amp altinater (probably 2amp real world use) with 25in shaft can be purchased "delivered" for about $1500
An outboard bracket...another $150 or so..
They are easy on fuel, reliable (if you do NOT let gas sit in the carb for extended periods) and if they do need repair...at about 60lbs... take it off, throw it in the trunk and run it to the shop. It would also free up great storage space for a cooler or additional water tankage or 2-6volt batteries....all depending on your intended use.
Your single cylinder Westerbeke may well be a minor fix. Generally....with a diesel, keep the air, fuel and water clean...they keep running. It could be as simple as a fuel filter. Does it turn over well? Have compression? Oil black, not grey? Water in fuel?
If you decide to pursue getting the lil diesel running and are successful, you will get a kick out of it. I had a single on a boat back in the mid 90's....always loved the sound/feel.  "pucka pucka pucka" Others may think it agrivating....I found it kinda cool (can we still say cool?)
As well...you will be absolutely amazed at how low the fuel consumption is with a small, single diesel. Keep boat speed in the mid 4's and you should get 4+hrs/gallon!!
So....pro's and cons to whatever you decide. Ya see....boats AND engines are compromises!!!   :-)
Keep us posted
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Tom L.

Thanks for all the replies. I concur that Westerbeke engines are usually very good. I had a 4 cylinder on a Catalina 30 that was reliable and strong and I put over 3000 hours on it. So I generally trust the Westerbeke engines.

In this case the broker has said that the engine, a Westerbeke 7A I believe, is not operable and has had at least two mechanics trying to repair the engine without success. In The brokers words, not mine, it is junk.

The early Horizons had Westerbeke 7A engines. It is a one cylinder engine. It is also true that they are no longer available in the US due to EPA pollution guidelines. I was hoping to hear from someone with a working 7A that had some direct experience. I know it has at least one really strange setup. The alternator and belt are on the back of the engine. The propeller shaft has to be disconnected to change the belt. Other service items are right up front. I haven't actually seen this boat yet but intend to make a trip soon.

Thanks all

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

frank

Have you tried a call or email to Gerry at the factory? Although he is nt a mechanic, he can probably provide some info or at least steer you to someone with the experience you need.

Tom L.

Thanks Frank. After I see this boat and decide if I still want to pursue a Horizon Cat, I will contact Gerry.

Tom L.

blighhigh

I had a Westerbeke in a Gemini 105 that burst into flames when the starter motor didn't shut off.   It took three fire extinguishers to put out the blaze.  I came very close to diving into frigid waters when the blaze wouldn't quit and I was running out of fire extinguishers.

frank

this may help...

http://www.westerbeke.com/advanced%20specs/7a_one_sales_literature.pdf

I noticed it said "fuel strainer.....no filter required"

Could well be a blocked fuel "strainer"
It looks like a very basic engine to work on....extremely simple systems

rbh1515

I would tend to stay away from Westerbekes.  I had one in my Catalina 28.  It was a 3 cylinder engine.  It was very reliable over the 9 years I owned the boat, but it really vibrated a lot.  When I bought the boat new it vibrated quite a bit, and the dealer said it was normal.  It was the first boat I had owned with an inboard, and I didn't know any better.  When I sailed on friends' boats the engines were always very smooth...they were Yanmars.  When I sold my boat, the surveyor was concerned about the vibration, but upon doing some research, this Westerbeke model just tended to vibrate a lot.  I just think they are not very refined engines.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End