a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller Tamer Recommendations

Started by Bilge Rat, December 08, 2015, 12:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim23

Although I like the beefy classic look of the CanSail, the TillerClutch gets my vote. I've used it for 2 seasons now and can't imagine single handing without it.

Salty19

Definitely go with the tiller clutch!   
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

I will echo what someone above said: Keep some extra line on board because you will go through it. Especially when someone aboard my boat this summer, who will remain anonymous, forced the tiller when the clutch was locked and super chafed the line, thereby ending it's usefulness.

Tom L.

For us the Cansail clutch works very good. We use a heavy bungee cord. The cord is not trapped in the clutch and can be released instantly reset or slipped out of the clutch altogether.

When I sit in the back corner of the Sun Cat cockpit it's like sitting in an easy chair. I wouldn't want a permanent or semi-permanent line running across the corner of the cockpit. I also don't need to add cleats as the bungee cord (which is tied to the gallows uprights) when removed from the clutch just drapes between the gallows uprights completely out of the way but instantly ready to put back in service.

When set up right the bungee will give when too much weather helm develops from a gust and let the boat slowly come up into the wind and spill the main. It will then head back off again if the wind returns to previous conditions.

It's not an auto helm but not far off either.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Salty19

Bob, there is a fix for that...better line.  Let me see if I can find the type of line I'm using-I suspect it will last 3-4 seasons and I regularly force adjust it. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Bob23

It's pretty good line but the clutch works on a friction something or other. It frays the line a little.
But, yeah, let me know what you use. I'm always open to suggestions.

BruceW

For awhile, when I was between devices, I had a 6 foot long, about half-inch thick bungee that went from side to side, wrapped in a loop around the tiller. I could slide it up (or maybe back) to adjust tension, and it could be used for minor steering adjustments and then spring back.

The bungee lasted awhile, and when it died, I couldn't any longer find such a long one. I never see them anywhere, either. So, perhaps I'll make one. I have to put the clutch I have on the current tiller some time, also.

Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Tom L.

Bruce, west marine sells bungee by the foot. You can buy 20 feet if you want.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

BruceW

Yes, Tom, you are right. I can get it at ACE also. I sure might have to do it. I'm guessing there's a decent way to put the hooks on the ends also.

I keep looking for the ready made, but heck, rather have it than look for it forever!
Bruce Woods

Tom L.

Bruce, I don't use hooks. I tie a clove hitch to each gallows upright. I pull the knot relatively tight and it will hold for a long time. The reason I tie a knot is so I can change the tension for different wind and heading conditions.

Tom L.

Shawn

The Cansail lock works great. Had one on Serenity and it held very well with a relatively small amount of rope tied between the two rear stanchions. The Cansail was mounted near the rear of the tiller which kept the rope out of the way. Rope lasted for years.

Also agree with Roger about the tiller pilot. You can see the bracket for that below the tiller. Cansail was great for quickly locking the tiller (to tack or whatever) but for single handing the tiller pilot was superb. Made raising or lowering the main or jib extremely easy. Also great for changing headsails or raising the spinnaker.

On a small boat as you move around you are changing the steering of the boat. The tillerpilot will compensate for that.

Shawn

Bilge Rat

I think I'm going to go with the Wavefront Tiller clutch and tie one end of the line to the starboard gallows stanchion and the other end of the line to the port stanchion via a sea dog rail mount fender cleat. http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1747-rail-mount-loop-cleat-fender-cleat

I don't like drilling when I don't have to so had been looking for a rail mounted cam cleat for this type of application. I stumbled across this guy's blog which is how I found out about the sea do rail mount fender cleat and this method for setting up a tiller lock:   http://stingysailor.com/tag/tiller-tamer/
This cleat only accommodates a line up to 1/4 inch so that should work for the tiller clutch which uses 3/16" line,  but not the CAnsail which calls for minimum 5/16" line.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

BruceW

Thanks for sharing about the Sea Dog rail mount cleat. I have had an inefficient way to deal with the line end, so could use something like this.

Regarding tying the bungee, as mentioned above, I might give it a try if I use the make my own method. Do you burn the ends of the cut bungee?
Bruce Woods

Tom L.

Peter Dubé

My Sun Cat came with the tiller lock.

When I first saw it,i was excited to use it. It seemed like it would work really well. Adjustable, simple, line is easy to remove, etc.  

However,i really did not like it. It made noise when not engaged. It was hard to get the right line tension. It did get in the way of sitting along the transom.

So I went back to even more simple.

I love this set up. Easy to use. Hold s the tiller where'd you set it but easy to change steering angle with a push. If you really want to lock it in place.

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL