a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller Tamer Recommendations

Started by Bilge Rat, December 08, 2015, 12:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bilge Rat

One of my winter projects for my Sun Cat is to install a tiller tamer. Seems like the Davis Instruments tamer is very popular. I am also intrigued by the CanSail Marine tamer http://www.cansail.com
I'm interested in any feedback on these or other options and your installation (e.g. top of tiller or underneath). Also how do you secure the end of the line to each side of the transom? Could you simply tie the line off to the stanchion uprights? I only have experience with what I believe was the Davis Instruments tamer on my previous boat (Catalina 16.5) where I had the line running to two small cam cleats on either side of the top of the transom. I liked this because it allowed for quick and easy tensioning of the line.

Thanks in advance and Seasons Greetings,

Shawn
SF Bay Area
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Bob23

Shawn:
   I've tried a few but found this one to work well and is built nicely. Apparently, there are different spring strengths available so investigate that before you buy. But the stock one works fine on my 23.
http://tillerclutch.com/

For the cause,
Bob23

DanM

I put a Davis Tiller Tamer on my Sea Pearl and liked it OK. But my new-to-me SunCat came with a Tiller Clutch and I find it handier to snap it on and off, as opposed to turning the knob on the Davis one. Based on my limited experience, I'd say the only advantage to the Davis, besides price,  is wider adjustability of the tension. Still prefer the clutch.

Tom Ray

I generally use a big, wet, stinky, ball-obsessed girl doggy.

captronr

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Peter Dubé

Hey!   I have met that dog!    Yup, very ball obsessed!   Tom, thanks for the pic.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Galnorth

I've have the tiller clutch using clamp on cleats on the sun cat gallows support.  I'm almost exclusively a single hander and  like the clutch a lot because I find it easier than the tiller tamer to engage and unengage.   I do find I wear out the line a few times a sailing season.  I use a longer than needed line and wrap the excess around one of the cleats.  When it starts to fray I just advance the  line a foot or so.

BruceW

The plastic ones don't hold.

The tiller lock is better (Cansail)

My friend Pete invented the tiller clutch, which I prefer over the Cansail.

Less pressure to lock against if you have the foiled rudder, though.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Catawampus

I tie a 3/16 line to one stern cleat, and keeping tension on the line, I wrap the line two or three times around the tiller and then tie the other end to the opposite stern cleat. This allows me to move the tiller with some resistance, but it also holds a tiller position long enough for me to go into the cabin or to the forward deck.

Tom L.

My Sun Cat came with the Cansail unit. It came mounted on top of the tiller but it could be mounted underneath. I use bungee cord and have it fastened to the gallows up rights. You will need to experiment with how much tension you put on the cord. Mine is fairly loose. I find it very easy to use with the bungee. I can release the lock and simply move the tiller and the cord slips in the clutch. But I can also pull the cord forward and out of the clutch altogether when needed.

I want to add the forespar hiking stick. I will need to move the cansail unit under the tiller. No big deal. I think I will just drill through the tiller and thru bolt the clutch on the underside of the tiller so I don't have a couple of holes exposed.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bilge Rat

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I didn't know about the tiller clutch and it looks pretty good from my brief review of their website.  It's coming down to a choice between the tiller clutch and the Cansail. I like your idea of trying a bungee Tom for quick unencumbered release and simplicity of mounting (simply hook to the stanchions).
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Tom Ray

If you can't find a big, wet, stinky, ball-obsessed dog, another option is a tiller extender and a lock box.

Set the extension to the desired length and drop the end into the box. You can put a box on either side of the cockpit, or both sides. I guess they must come with only one box because the installations I have seen had the box only on one side.

Tom L.

https://secure.interactiveticketing.com/1.7/36e024/?promo=sail15#/select 

The lock Box is good but requires a big hole to be cut in the cockpit. For simplicity I like the above arrangement. This also shows the Bungee cord like I explained earlier. I don't have the hiking stick yet but it's on my list. Instead of the eurocleat I have a cansail clutch.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Tom L.

opps wrong link. try this from Don L.

Re: Any good ideas for a proper tiller extension for a sun cat?
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:18 PM »

rogerschwake

Over the years I have tried lots of different tiller locks and extensions. The very best and also the most expensive is the auto pilot. It works great for sailing but also when raising sail and lowering sail and tiding up before you get to the dock. One story that a friend won't let me forget was when we were motoring down the lake because of the lack of wind and ran aground on a sand bar. Part of the problem might of had something to do with all the empty brown bottles in the cockpit. Spring is coming soon I hope.

ROGER