News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone tried to set up a sculling oar on an eclipse?

Started by captronr, December 07, 2015, 03:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Read on the TSBB site several are considering utilizing a sculling oar for power on their sailboats--many much larger and heavier than an Eclipse. 

I'd read in the Eclipse manual one should carry a paddle, but I don't see that as being much of a viable source of moving the boat. 

Seems should be easy to rig a mount on the aft, like across the mast crutch structure.   I'm guessing the longer the oar the better, which brings up the issue of it needing to be able to be taken apart for storage. 

My one thought for this, if they are strong enough, might be using the handles of a Stihl pole saw, which are about 5 ft long each.  They have a positive locking mechanism and three would provide minimum length.  I have two and am considering purchasing a 3rd to assist in tree trimming........... 

OK, someone smarter'n me jump in on this please.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

deisher6

Hey Capt:
I was anchored out in Hancock Creek off the Neuse River about 3 weeks ago and was amazed to see a sizable, 34-36 ft, sailboat being sculled into its berth.  I could have been an older Tartan or Pearson, definitely not a lightweight.  It had a tiller, crew was sailing and captain sculling or vice versa.  It was sculled at least 75 yards once I noticed it.  I would estimate that the oar was at least 10 foot.  I motored by the stern the next morning and did not notice anything special mounted there. I suspect that he had the oar loosely lashed to the stern pulpit.

I have never sailed in an Eclipse.  However I have used a canoe paddle to move a C-16 fairly easily.

regards charlie

alsantini

I have always felt the need to carry a paddle but probably only for mutiny of the crew. LOL  I tried to move my Precision 21 into a slip after engine difficulties.  Hardest part was reaching the water with my short paddle.  After a lot of swearing (that always helps, right?) I did move it close enough to catch one line.  I have the same paddle on the Eclipse but thankfully I have not needed it thanks to the trusty 4 hp - 4 stroke.  Sculling into the slip has to be easier....  Storage has to be the issue.

Salty19

CurtisV documented his DIY sculling oar project in our DIY section for his CP23

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6705.0

Maybe you could draw some of his concepts into a design that would work for the Eclipse?

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

captronr

Salty,

Thanks.  Read the link but the pics didn't show for me, so I didn't get many ideas.

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Salty19

Yea, me either.  He must have moved them online and the links are referencing pictures that are not there anymore.

Send him a personal message.  He's a great guy and might fix them or send you the pics.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603