a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ALWAYS CHECK YOUR FITTINGS!!!!!!

Started by sjaffess, December 02, 2015, 09:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjaffess

Went out sailing the other day.  As I was raising the sail, the starboard stay broke loose. I quickly lowered the sail and took down the mast.  Luckily the wind was not strong so the mast was not damaged.  Apparently the ring holding the clevis pin gave way.  It could have been much worse. A word to the wise - check your fittings.

captronr

I had similar happen on our Mac 26X.  Sailing along nicely, and the lee shroud started swaying in the wind.  YIKES!  Dropped sail immediately and was able to repin it loosely (of course, the ring ding and pin were lost to Neptune). 

Since then, I check the ring dings all the time and wrap electrical tape around them to hold the pin in and keep the ring ding from rotating. 

Scary situation.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Craig

Had similar problem with my old Potter 15. Ring on forestay backed out and the mast came down. No damage fortunately. Rings are unreliable. If you have them, tape them as Ron says
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

On a fall haulout a few years ago, I noticed the ring holding the clevis pin at the base of the roller furler was gone. I have no idea if I sailed all summer, one month, a week or if the pin just parted a few hours before. I check everything often now and tape the circle rings at the turn buckles.
Bob23