Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Gaff Slide on Mast

Started by Christopher, November 20, 2015, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

Fellow Suncat Drivers,
 I have a broken part or at least a partially broken part.  It is attached to the slide and it is U shaped and it is torn.  Do you know what it is called and where can I get a replacement part?  The slide itself is pretty worn as well so I would like to replace it.  What is the correct name and do you know where I can find it.  Also if you look at the photo of my rigging it appears that it is not set up correctly.  Does anyone have a photo or sketch to show me how it is suppose to be?

Thank-you,

Chris
"Second Wind"

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Creaysohphotos/media/IMG_1207_zpsnnyr5mte.jpg.html
http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/Creaysohphotos/media/IMG_1214_zps7tw8yncg.jpg.html

Tom L.

The gaff gooseneck slide looks like parts of it are missing. There should be a rod extending vertical with a loop that the halyard attaches too and that seems to be missing. The rest of the pieces look like they are a make shift way to attach the halyard. It's not uncommon for that vertical rod to get broken off when the mast is hinged down and the booms have not been lowered all the way. It is the primary purpose of the long pin to protect those parts. When the long pin is in place all those components should be below the hinge point.

Call Matt at Com Pac, 727-443-4408. He can help you determine what part you need to order. He can also mail or e-mail how the standard boat should be rigged. A lot of boats have modified rigging especially when it comes to lazy jacks or topping lifts.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

JTMeissner

Chris, I have an original CP-16, so no gaff, but the parts may be available from Dwyer Mast Company (which Hutchins has used in the past).  I have purchased directly from them or ordered the specific parts from Hutchins once I figured out the name/part number.

I've added the photos here to make it a tad easier for folks to assist, though shrunk (looks like Photobucket changed programing again (at least on the Mac)):

The part you have that is damaged looks like a standard part from Dwyer (#8 Slide, DH 4151S, which is a 1/2" slide used on several mast profiles), though this is purely speculation and based on a standard boom gooseneck casting (DH 355-1L Sliding Gooseneck $66.30 FITS DM-3, DM-4, DM-5, & DM-375 MASTS):

No.   Part          Description             Price
1     CTP1          Cotter Pin              $0.13   
2     WSHR2         Washer                  $0.10   
3     SS3           Spring                  $0.31   
4     DH 355C       Gooseneck Casting       $21.40   
5     DH 315        Fork                    $9.05   
6     CLP-4-0.984   Clevis Pin              $1.95   
7     DH 316        Universal               $5.46   
8     DH 4151S      Slide                   $14.56   
9     DH 2152       Tack Pin With Roll Pin  $4.47   
10    CR1           Circular ring           $0.19

Based on Tom's description, it seems the slide would be inverted for the gaff's use, and you'd have the ring on the slide in lieu of the shackle that is probably damaging the rest of the hardware.  I'd check my work to ensure the correct slide was determined; hopefully this gets you on the right track (pun intended, :-)).

Taking another look, it appears the gaff may be using this part series, though inverted?  Need a gaffer to weigh in (slide part is the same, fitting is DH 359-1L Sliding Gooseneck $75.30):

No.  Part          Description             Price
1    CTP1          Cotter Pin              $0.13   
2    PPH2LN        Sold with PPH2          $0.00   
3    PPH2          Machine Screw, 3'8"-16 x 2", Pan Head, Stainless, w/Lock Nut   $4.75   
4    DH 3143       U-Bracket               $6.34   
5    CLP-4-0.984   Clevis Pin              $1.95   
6    DH 334        Heavy Duty Universal    $8.27   
7    DH 4151S      Slide                   $14.56   
8    DH 359C       Gooseneck Casting       $36.50   
9    DH 2152       Tack Pin With Roll Pin  $4.47

-Justin

Mike Howell

I broke my gooseneck fitting last year. I did a lot of research, just to find out, I had to order it from COMPAC. They modify the 'stock' part from DWYER for use on the Suncat. Compac adds a long 'loop' for the Throat halyard to attach to for clearance.

A quick call to Compac, and about $100 charge on your card, will have the part on its way.

You'll have to remove the top portion of the mast to replace to gooseneck. It seems like I had to remove the top of the mast hinge from the mast, but I don't remember for sure. It was a fairly simple process, the most difficult part was not tangling the lines.

Craig

No big deal! Pull hinge bolt(after dropping mast into gallows), remove old gooseneck,insert new, reassemble,done. Get the parts from Compac. You won't find them cheaper or get them faster! Trust us on this one.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Christopher

Thank-you for your great feedback, schematics and fixing my pics.  After viewing the schematics and reading your responses I agree the slide is missing the loop.  The loop is used to attach the halyard.  Apparently the loop broke off the slide and the immediate fix at the time was to add a shackle which is attached to the fork as shown in my photo. I will also need the part called a "universal" since mine is severely damaged.   I believe my gooseneck casting is OK.  I will take Tom and Craig's advice and get the parts from Compac.  I'm planning a trip south soon so I will stop by Compac with my photos and parts.  Unfortunately I will not have my boat with me this year.

Chris

Tom Ray

You might be better off to call or email Com-Pac prior to dropping by.

They don't start building a boat unless it is already sold and they don't keep a huge inventory of parts on hand.

You might arrive only to find out that the only fittings they have on hand are already on boats and about to be shipped out to dealers.

hoddinr

I busted the loop off the slide while tightening the halyards after the mast was down.  I heard it break.

A call to Com_Pac was all it took.  I thought the price was very reasonable ($20) and picked it up the next day.

Ron