a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Universal 12 Mixing Elbow

Started by CurtTampa, November 20, 2015, 06:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CurtTampa

Previous owner had his "mechanic" replace the mixing elbow as I found it it to be crusty during my self survey. The replacement shown in the picture is what he came up with. I'm skeptical if it's the right one(?). Also a very small stream of water/steam exits the elbow at the point that screw is located. There are two of these threaded holes. Only one alows water/steam to exit. My guess is it was drilled to deep when preparing for tapping. Not sure what is missing - maybe a support of some kind? The rubber pipe also seems undersized. Any thoughts?  Comparisons?

BobK

Curt,
I am going to my boat today to replace the muffler.  I will take some pictures of mine.
BobK

BobK

Curt,
The elbow on my engine does not have the screw holes drilled - just the flat area with nothing attached.  The hose diameter is 1 9/16" from elbow to muffler.  I can pm the pix - posting is beyond me.
BobK

moonlight

That's a shame.  The external condition of a mixing elbow cannot be extrapolated to it's internals; but what's done is done.
The spot noted if for fitment of an exhaust temperature switch.
Per ABYC, provision must be made (especially on new models) for indication of loss of coolant water.
Many manufacturers wrongly assume that an exhaust temp overheat satisfies that requirement.
It does not; as we all know the coolant flow is long gone before the temperature dangerously spikes.  The hose is already destroyed, CO already loose about the boat, before the temp switch registers.
Most of us have a finer ear, and with a proper exhaust system, can quickly tell if we're running wet or dry.
Plug that hole with JB Weld or a better fit screw and sealant...