a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Roller - Furler

Started by hazelscamp, September 29, 2006, 01:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazelscamp

Upon returning from a sail, I noticed that the metal drum that covers the spool on the CDI furler had moved up, exposing the spool and chaffing the furling lanyard.   I couldn't get the drum to move back down onto the spool.   Looking around the yard at other boats, I noticed some had a similar problem and duct tape was used to prevent the rewind lanyard from being cut by the edge of the slot in the drum.

I called CDI and was advised that duct tape was not the proper fix.  There is a thrust washer on the top of the spool that sometimes gets jammed cock-wise and allows the drum to rise up off of the spool.   I took the tension off the stay and was able to move the washer back to the proper position with a screwdriver.

What Next?    I guess this is called "getting familiar with the equipment".

spaul

I had a CDI on my old MacGregor and had the same problem. The thrust washer will do this. I fashioned an edge roller out of tygon tubing and glued it around the rewind opening. It seemed to work and keep the lanyard from fraying. I slit the tubing and just bent it on. I've also seen automobile door edge guards used for this along with glue.

Steve Paul
cp27/2
Nashville, In

Skip_956

I haven't had that problem when under tension but I have noticed it when the tension has been released.  I just push it back down and really haven't paid that much attnetion to it.

hazelscamp

Thanks for the responses.    Installing edge guard on the spool cover sounds like a fast and effective protection.   I could also use a plastic document biinder clamp and heat shrink in place.    Thanks