a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cockpit Cushions and Bimini

Started by Peter Dubé, November 01, 2015, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

I really like my new bimini.  Now im thinking about getting cockpit cushions or seats or whatever.  My concern now is the loss in headroom that would be created by a cushion.  The real nice factory cockpit cushions are listed as being two inches thick.  Im worried that my head will be into the bimini.  Is it a problem for those of you with the factory cushions? 

What else do you guys / gals use for seating?

As always, thanks for the replies!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Catawampus

I like sitting in the cockpit without a cushion. To occasionally relieve fiberglass fatigue, I will sit for a while on a throwable life preserver. My wife likes her adjustable back "stadium" seat from west marine, but echoing your seat height concern, I am not comfortable on the "stadium" seat.

DanM

I'm happy that my SC came w/o cockpit cushions- IMHO, previous owner was wise to skip them. You'd have to handle them, one way or the other, every time you want to get into one of the lazarettes. And you don't want to leave them out all the time in the weather, so throwing them in and out of the cabin becomes another step in going sailing. We are satisfied using, as in the previous post, throwable cushions and a West Marine folding seat. Perhaps others who have the cushions will comment otherwise.

Tom Ray

I really liked our factory cockpit cushions and had no problem with headroom.

Ours lived in the shed along with the Bimini, cockpit grate, and a few other things. Yeah, a bit of extra work each time but not bad.

I seldom used the cockpit lockers so was not bothered by having to lift cushions to get in.

capt_nemo

My wife and I made 5" Foam Cushions all round for the cockpit early on during our ownership of "Frisky", a 2010 Sun Cat.. They were made in 4 pieces, 2 for the long sides with 2 smaller fill-in pieces for the bridgedeck and the back of the cockpit. Although quite comfortable they were NOT waterproof and had to be stored inside.

As DanM mentioned earlier, I found them a real pain to handle aboard while sailing and an even bigger pain to store below and retrieve when needed. Consequently they were stored in the garage and other alternatives were employed for seated comfort when sailing and socializing aboard.

One method which worked quite well was an oval shaped FLAT cushioned seat with small 4 position fold-up back. The FLAT seat when collapsed was easy to store down inside the cockpit locker and when used topside could be simply shoved out of the way to gain access to the locker when under way. The padded back support was also quite nice instead of the hard glass cockpit coaming. Portable padded folding seats with backs are the way to go in my opinion. Found this one in an ACE Hardware Store in Michigan years ago but I'm sure Google could help find others.

Here is a photo of the seat being used in a Coroplast Dinghy that I made.

capt_nemo

FireDrill

I use 2 of the Westmarine low back go-anywhere Seat 2's - usually in the flat position .  Based on a Practical Sailor down rating for their lack of
non -slip feature, I added a large patch of kitchen-ware non-slip  rubber mat like patches to each half on the underside and it works well.  I use fairly wide double sided carpet tape to attach them around the edges with a patch or two in the middle .  They can be slid around easily to get into the lockers  and can be set up so two can be on one side.  It also can be folded to a triangular back support in the cabin for sitting, relaxing, and eating , reading or talking.  At the end of the day, two stow nicely on top of each other in the cabin on one birth and are easy to move in and out. One sinks into these cushions a little.  Not had problems with 5-10 to 6-1 people sitting on them under the bimini...even wearing hats. The frame can be felt at the folding point if one sits in the middle of the cushion. Often on sale at West Marine stores around $50  - 70 (List is $99) Everyone likes these cushions an a couple of guests look forward to back-up  chair position for a long day-sail.
Don Lehmbeck,
2012 SunCat named "CatEase"
Belief: "A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble".. E.B. White..
Retired Engineer and Adjunct Faculty ,
35 years sailing small cruisers in Upstate NY and nearby Canada

Peter Dubé

Thanks to everyone for the replies and alternate ideas.  I will not rush out to buy the factory cushions yet.  The other choices look promising, less bulky, and less money too. 

15 years ago, I had purchased some closed cell EVA foam sheets from West Marine.  Brand name So-Pac.  Imported from New Zealand.  They were great, light , comfortable, did not absorb water (much).  But they are no longer imported.  In searching the web for closed cell eva foam, it led me to some seats on Amazon.  They have great reviews.  On a whim, I ordered one tonight.  Ill keep you posted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005G28A0O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Bilge Rat

the original purchaser of my Sun Cat got the cockpit cushions. I will say that they are very comfortable and having sailed many a dinghy without custom-fit cockpit cushions, I am very glad to have them.  I just throw them in the cabin when not sailing.  What I don't understand is why they are so darn expensive? You'd think they were sewn with 14 kt gold thread.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Bob23

Craig

They are not expensive, sailors are just naturally cheap! ;D ;D ;D That being said factory cushions are more expensive than some alternatives but they are extremely well  made durable and fit perfectly. We have had them on both the Suncat and the H Cat. Not expecting to replace them for a long time! Ya' pays yer money, Ya' takes yer choice. Popeye the Sailorman said that! ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Peter Dubé

Hi Craig!

You are right, we are generally a frugal group!. I sure enjoy how much fuel my boat burns!

And I am jealous of your cushions!. They are very well made and fit perfectly, look good, ect ECT ECT.

Do you have any issues with headroom and the bimini?

Thanks!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Craig

No issues with headroom on either boat (I am 6'2"). When I purchase a boat I tend to consider optional equipment as a fraction of the cost of the boat and how they will help when it comes time to resell as well as the benefits they will provide while I own the boat. As an example in an other venue, the mortgage cost per month of having granite counters in your kitchen may be less than a dollar a month but the benefits they bring as a user and a seller are well worth it IMHO.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Peter Dubé

That folding blue seat that I ordered (see post above), did not work out well for me. VERY LITTLE padding, hard as a rock. It's being returned ....

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Peter Dubé

After trying several seats and cushions, succumbed to the temptation to get factory cushions For my SC.  After having them for quite some time, can say that really like them.  I just throw them I the cabin when not in use.  It's no big deal to get into the lockers under them while sailing.  One real benefit with the cushions is that the DO offer about two inches of height to the seats This increase in height makes  more comfortable as it give you more leg room.  The seats without cushions are very low. 

I'm happy with both the cushion purchase and the bimini! No regrets.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

suznhenz

I really love my cockpit cushions, and think the prices from Ameriseam (www.ameriseam.com) was fair, especially considering the quality of the results  ($810 for SunSure - like Phifertex, but a little tighter weave with Sunbrella piping). They are about 40 minutes from where I live in west central Florida, so I don't know what shipping would be. The foam is closed cell, so they won't get all waterlogged.