a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Starboard cockpit drain, water coming up

Started by Peter Dubé, October 25, 2015, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

I have noticed that when heeled over, water will come up the cockpit drain.  I assume it is coming through the opening in the transom.  All of my rubber flaps do not look like they would seal.  Is there a fix for this?  Thanks.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

rogerschwake

The easy fix is to pick up your feet or wear boots. I have had this happen when there was to much weight in the aft end of the boat. A a couple people sitting in the back corners of the cockpit will do it, but what a confee place to set I know. A cockpit grate also helps this problem. This problem will not sink your boat and I'm sure some body will have some better ideas for you.

ROGER

JTMeissner

Peter, my fix was simple, use drain plugs.  This is a somewhat controversial solution as there is risk if not pulled should you need the drains to function.  I figure that if I'm at the point of worrying about water drain, the wet feet on a simple cruising sail is no longer the main issue, so the plugs are pulled early.  Check any kayak store or online outlet, and measure first.  I ordered yellow and had to replace with green (or maybe the other way around) for my CP-16.

http://www.oceankayak.com/uploadedFiles/Website_Library_Assets/Files/Miscellaneous/Scupper%20Stopper%20Dimensions.pdf

You can also replace the scupper valves, something like this: http://www.boatus.com/magazine/trailering/2013/October/how-to-install-a-one-way-scupper-valve.asp

Or a completely new valve system: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/Scupper-Valves

I may overhaul the drain systems this winter, looking at using thru-hull valves and flexible tubing over rigid PVC pipe (except at the fittings).  I had a home where all piping was flex tubing instead of hard pipe, seemed to work well and minimal cost difference now.

-Justin

Bob23

I've had this happen on occasion when I've had a cockpit full of people and larger following waves while running. I consider it part of sailing. But then again, it's only a little water on my 23.
Bob23

Peter Dubé

Yes, it's not much water, maybe two or three cups. I'm not worried about it much, but if there is an easy fix,i want to make it.

Thanks Justin. Good ideas. I did not realize there are entire businesses  built around fixing leaky scuppers! ????

I looked at the Hutchins parts list,  the parts for the scupper are readily available. Entire assembly, cover and scupper is less than$10.

Is the labor to repair them simple? Remove cover, replace parts, seal, re-cover?

Thanks!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Craig

As folks have said, for all the reasons above, don't worry too much, not a real problem. Second, if your flaps are old and dry they probably are not sealing well so replacing them is the best way to go. Another source of water in the Suncat cockpit is the centerboard pennant tube. At speed and especially under power, water is forced up the tube. A cockpit grate is a simple and attractive solution. They are available from the factory(expensive but nice) but many folks have made their own here . Do a search and I am sure they will pop up.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Catawampus

For dry feet on a Sun Cat, a cockpit grate is necessary. They are also comfortable for bare feet and they look good too. (The grate that is, foot beauty varies.)

Tom Ray

I agree with Steve. Dry feet and keeping anything else that winds up down there dry are the two best reasons for the cockpit grate.

Peter Dubé

OK OK  something else to add to my wish list!. I agree the cockpit grate does look grate! ???? I hear the groans from here.....
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Bob23

Peter:
   You're gonna fit in here just fine with grate jokes like that!!! I hope it's not too much of a drain on you.

Tom Ray

Our boat had the cockpit grate only because the original buyer did not listen to my advice when purchasing the boat. (I was his salesman before becoming his broker and then his customer.)

I told him to get Dri Dek and make his own. He didn't like the idea and I was working on commission so didn't want to argue the point, so a factory grate it was.

The factory grate is better. I don't sell them any more. I'm saying that as a customer/user.

If your centerboard pennant cleat is not already mounted up on a raised block it will need to be when you raise the deck level with grate, Dri Dek, or whatever.

Peter Dubé

Tom, i put down dri dek today. I think it looks good and should do the job. I could not really justify the cost of the wood grates.

Peter Dubé
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Bob23

I thought about a wood grate for my 23, not for the reasons of water intrusion but rather I like the way they look. But I'm a cheapskate so I'll not buy any teak but I just remembered I have a lot of leftover Atlantic White Cedar siding from a construction project so I may give that a try. It's light and weathers to a light gray. Like my hair!!!

Peter Dubé

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom Ray

Looks good, Peter. In addition to keeping your feet dry, any kind of cockpit grate will tend to trap sand, hair, and whatever else may come aboard so that less of it winds up in the cabin.

Removing it for cleaning after a trip always reveals a pretty ugly mess, but at least you're not tracking it around the boat!