a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Proper repair for dings in top side

Started by Peter Dubé, October 16, 2015, 09:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

I have annoying dings in my top side that I would like to repair. How should I make the repair. The deck is that common tan color. Should I worry about water getting I these breaks?. Thanks

Peter

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Peter Dubé

Here is a pic of one of the "dings" in my top side.

I am considering two repair products.

Magicezy     http://www.magicezy.com/

Fibre Glass-Evercoat Co Gel Coat Repair Kit   http://www.amazon.com/Fibre-Glass-Evercoat-Gel-Coat-Repair/product-reviews/B0000AXTGZ

Does anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

marc

I've used evercoat products and they work fine. On my boat I've made repairs to the white non-skid on my cockpit seats using a tube of evercoat white which I purchased at West Marine. Here's the link:

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/evercoat--gel-coat-scratch-patch--P004_120_006_503 

The thing about gelcoat repairs is that you will never get an exact match, even if you mix up your own tint. You have to learn to accept "good enough". As for the repair needed shown in your photo, I would use an exacto knife or some type of pointy tool to remove any loose gelcoat around the damaged area, blot with acetone and apply evercoat white from the tube. Yea you will have a corner of white edging into the tan but the tan looks pretty white anyway.

I had that annoying black exposed under my chips as well. Once they were covered and no longer caught my attention every time I stepped on the boat, I was very happy even though I can see the repair if I look for it. Guests I have onboard never see it.

You can try just using evercoat white from the tube. If you don't like it, use a dremel to remove it. You can then can mix your own tint to see if you could do better.  Could save you a lot of time (tinting takes awhile unless you are extremely lucky) and money.

Peter Dubé

Thanks Marc!

I agree with your thoughts on the color match being almost impossible to duplicate. In looking at the Evercoat repair products I found a tube of buff color. That will be closer than the white. So I will order a tube of that and give it a try.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Christopher

You can get the exact color gelcoat from the factory.  I didn't know this until recently when I read the post on the Sunday Cat being restored.  I ended up buying a bottle of gelcoat to match my upper deck and a pint for the hull. I bought the Evercoat kit a while back.  It is a good kit but it is very difficult to try and match colors.  From my limited experience I recommend buying the factory gelcoat.  You will also need hardener and acetone for cleaning the surface area prior to gelcoating. 
http://www.com-pacyachts.com/

Chris

"Second Wind"

Peter Dubé

Thanks Chris!

I call Hutchins and ordered the proper color gelcoat from them for under 10 plus s/h.  Of course, it will not be a perfect match as the boat has faded, but it will be much closer than any other alternative.

I only have to get the hardener locally.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

marc

Would you happen to know how far back they carry the gelcoat colors for? My boat is a 1999 and I have a few spots I'd like to tend to.
Marc

Peter Dubé

Marc,. I did not ask them how far back they keep the colors for. Give them a call. Mine is a 2004, he suggested they still use the same deck color today.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Christopher

Peter,
  I didn't mention this in my earlier response but you will also need a gelcoat paste.  You add this paste to the color pigment and hardener.  You mix all three together and you end up with paste so you can spread it over the surface you want to cover.

nreamer

I hate to mention this, as I am a DIY kind of guy, but I had a couple of small repairs professionally repaired.  I am lucky to have one of the best fiberglass repair shops in the SE located a few miles from where i live.  Color matching was perfect, work was done in two days, and cost $147.  Sometimes, I would rather just pay someone to do it right.  Not often, but sometimes.  I figured by the time I bought all the stuff, I was going to be over $100 anyway.  Color matching is tedious, if not impossible for a beginner, so why not?  Couldn't be happier with the results!
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Catawampus

Neil,
Please share info on that fiberglass repair shop.
Thanks

Peter Dubé

Chris,

So, what Hutchins is sending is only the color pigment?  Not the gelcoat paste with color in it?  What is the mixing ratio?

Thanks for helping!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

nreamer

http://marine-pro.com/  These guys are fantastic.  If you look at their site, they have repaired boats where the entire side of a boat was ripped off down to the flotation, the repairs were so good, the owners opted to have the other side restored as well.  It is a production quality shop.  These guys have been around.

~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Christopher

Peter,
  You will just be getting the color pigment.  I already had the Evercoat kit so I just used the gelcoat paste and hardener from that kit.  Being in Florida there are probably several boat supply places around that may have the gelcoat paste and hardener.  West Marine may even have them that you can buy separately. 
  I just mix it together until it is a uniform past consistency.  The hardener ratio is 4 drops for every teaspoon (1/6 oz) of blended gelcoat paste.  I would also recommend watching a few Youtube videos on gelcoat repair.

Chris