Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer for SunCat - HELP!

Started by nicktulloh, September 02, 2015, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicktulloh

Guys,

I need to pick up a SunCat in NJ and tow it home to NH. The local ComPac dealer is no more. They're $2200 in FL which I happily pay but shipping is prohibitive.

Does anyone have any ideas about where to get one, or one I could make work?

The Sailboat Shop in Skaneateles seems to be the closest dealer to me (??) and his phone is constantly busy.

I'm at a loss.

Craig

Bought our Suncat from the Sailboat Shop. John is a great guy and transported our boat from Skaneateles to Fl. Keep trying and check the # on line. He should be able to help!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

nreamer

Be careful buying trailers out of state.  Find out what your state requirements are.  I bought my boat / trailer quite legally in FL. in June.  I am on month two trying to get a tag here in SC.  Sent email to previous owner today, asking for last piece of paper they need to issue a title here in SC, even though FL does not issue titles on trailers!  Crazy thing is, if I never desired to travel out of state, I do not even need a plate!  So, if PO has lost the registration card, I may put this trailer up for sale and get one built, crazy as that sounds! 

Government bureaucracy can be a PITA!  I blame no one except the crazy rules of our various state DMV's!  Thought about buying a utility trailer and getting in licensed, then pulling plate off it and putting it in the Magic Tilt when we want to travel but the wife freaked out on that one.  I figured I could finish spot painting corrosion to finish making that VIN plate illegible.  What state trooper would care that much about a trailer?  I like it more and more each time I think about it!  :-)
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Tom L.

I use to live in Kentucky and there was not plate available for a boat trailer. The trouble was every time I travel out of state I got stopped. I tried carrying a copy of the KRS laws and that worked for most situations but always slowed us down. I finally bought a utility trailer plated for my boat trailer so I no longer was pulled over for no plates. I lived near Cincinnati so we were always trailing in Ohio and Michigan. This was in the 70s and 80s.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Peapod

Nick,

I'm also here in NH, in West Lebanon, and you're welcome to come by to take measurements off my SunCat trailer.  It doesn't seem to be non-standard in any way, so you can probably set up a generic boat trailer with bunks to be the exact same size, or even to convert a utility trailer.

I also bought my Sun Cat down at the Sailboat Shop in NJ.  I sailed last summer on Newfound Lake, and now on Lake Mascoma.  Where in NH do you sail?

Eric

nicktulloh

Eric,

Thanks much. I ended up getting a trailer built by LoadRite through the Compac dealer in Riverside, NJ. It was supposed to be ready in a few days, that was two weeks ago.

The Yacht Club in Jersy City has been very accomodating in letting me leave it until the trailer is done.

Hopefully picking it up Friday.

I have a mooring on Little Bay, live in Durham.

Grew up in Hanover so pretty familiar with your area, too.

Nick

Nick

Quote from: Peapod on September 20, 2015, 10:05:46 PM
Nick,

I'm also here in NH, in West Lebanon, and you're welcome to come by to take measurements off my SunCat trailer.  It doesn't seem to be non-standard in any way, so you can probably set up a generic boat trailer with bunks to be the exact same size, or even to convert a utility trailer.

I also bought my Sun Cat down at the Sailboat Shop in NJ.  I sailed last summer on Newfound Lake, and now on Lake Mascoma.  Where in NH do you sail?

Eric