Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom component (end cap)?

Started by Allure2sail, June 27, 2015, 07:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allure2sail

Boom fitting:
Someone on this site asked if I would sell a component off my spare boom. I no longer can find the email so I'll answer here. Sorry but I can't justify taking individual parts off of a complete usable boom.
Sorry...
Bruce
S/V Allure

MomentSurf

Boooooooo :-)  Thanks for replying Bruce. 

Does anyone have the parts list that might list the boom end cap - I'd like to order one if possible. 

Tney88

I needed some more of the padeyes for my boom, and contacted Gerry Hutchins about it.  He referred me here:

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Isomat_Spars/Isomat_Booms/NB26_boom.html

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

wes

Spar brand depends on year. My 1988 boat has spars from the Johnson Sails shop, made from Kenyon stock. Discussed this with Gerry by phone when it became clear my boom didn't match the Isomat profile. I think Charlie's 1986 boat has the same as mine. Guessing they may have changed to Isomat later in 1988 or 1989.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Allure2sail

Hi:
Both masts and booms are 1987's and they are both Johnson's brand.
Bruce

skip1930

The ends or caps come from Dwyer's, right out of the catalog.

skip.

Tim Gardner

If they are Kenyon, go to http://www.rigrite.com.  They carry parts for Kenyon spars. 
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Allure2sail

Quote from: skip1930 on July 03, 2015, 07:11:33 AM
The ends or caps come from Dwyer's, right out of the catalog.

skip.

Got a link we can use?

MomentSurf

Wow, great stuff!

Can anyone tell which boom I have from the pics I happen to have on my phone...(PS, pay no mind to how dirty everything looks...these are pictures from when I first bought the boat after sitting for YEARS, she's much happier now)?  If not, how do I determine what I have? 

Thanks!

wes

Can't guarantee it, but this looks like my boom and yours; Kenyon type "E" on Rig-Rite web site. Looks like they have parts available, but I would for sure call them to discuss, esp. since Com-Pac is not listed as one of the makers who installed this boom.

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/E-boom.html

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

deisher6

Hey MommentSurf:
Looks like my '86 Johnson boom. Reefing lines on the port and starboard sides (white sheaves) and out haul in the middle.  There is a set of pulleys on the outhaul for extra purchase.  The reefing lines should go through jam cleats on either side of the boom fitting at the gooseneck.
regards charlie

MomentSurf

A couple more pictures.  I'm pretty sure its the Kenyon Boom by now.  The only problem is, it seems they only sell the end cap containing the blocks for outhaul and reefing.  It also looks the cap they sell is for a boom with a straight vertical end, my boom end has a significant angle towards the mast (pictured below).  All I really need is an end cap matching the contour of my current boom (less the reefing/outhaul assembly)...unless I buy theirs and remove my assembly, cut the boom, and install the new package?

relamb

Mine appears identical to yours MomentSurf.  It's a 1988, and the end is cut back on an angle just like yours.  I did not know that there was supposed to be an end cap.  Mine is rigged with the port sheave for reefing, the middle wire for outhaul, the the starboard is for the topping lift.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

MomentSurf

Maybe there isn't supposed to be an end cap! 

Mine is rigged for port and stbrd sheaves being reefing lines and center sheave being outhaul.