a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Throwable Storage Thoughts.

Started by skip1930, June 19, 2015, 09:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip1930

The CP-19 is small and the vertical distance from the cockpit combing up to the top-o-rail of the stern pulpit does not have enough room for those yellow or white rectangular waterproof sacks holding 75 foot of floating line and a horse collar without 'looking awkward' and not fitting the boat.

Plus hanging that thing up there blocks sight and makes working around the stern cleat and boarding ladder impossible.
Can't hang it on the other side because I can't get to the outboard engine.

Looking in the dumpster at Skippers Bud's Marina revealed a 20 inch diameter Coast Guard approved throwable life ring surrounded with four lines used for hand holds. Hummmm.

So I's said to myself, Self ... tie 75 foot of line to it and stow the line inside the hull ... eliminating that rectangular bag on the deck.

What do you sailors think?  
Put a hinged rope pipe some where on the combing or deck and fabricate a nice stainless steel bracket to hold that small 20 inch life ring on the pulpit.

Well ... can see through it for one, it's accessible for another if needed and makes a safety line when swimming off the stern.

Not fond of popping a hole in my combing or deck.  Going to have to think about this for a while.

skip.

relamb

in my CP23 I kept a small container with a neatly coiled length of small floating line, and a brass clip.  in case of emergency I could clip it to a throwable boat cushion, which you're required to have on board anyway.  I just kept the container handy while underway in rough weather, already clipped to the cushion.

My CP27 has a horseshoe shaped float, that I hang on a stern rail bracket.  I happened to find a novelty yellow sunbrella "wine cooler" bag in the clearance bin of a marine store.  basically a bag with a little padding to contain/store a wine bottle.  This now contains my line and is hung on the hook inside the life buoy.  One end of the line comes out the top of the bag and ties to the buoy.  I poked a hole in the bottom of the bag, and the other end of the line is tied to the boat.

An alternative if you can't find a wine bag (I lucked out, they are not cheap).
Take one of the nylon bags that folding camp chairs come in.  cut out the midsection so you have the top drawstring part, and the bottom part.
Make it whatever length needed and sew it back together so you now have a shorter length bag.
These are perfect for storing inflatable life jackets, I keep mine in the bag when not in use, hanging on a coathook in the cabin.

Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

rbh1515

...or you can get one of these:  http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/mustang-survival-rescue-stick?country=25
Very small, portable, and a bit expensive....but worth every penny.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End