a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boat leaning to starboard

Started by rbh1515, June 16, 2015, 02:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

I have noticed that my new HDC collects a pool of water on the port side deck next to the cockpit.  No water collects on the starboard side. Didn't see any water collecting there on my neighbor's HC.  Couldn't figure out why until I noticed that my boat lists to the starboard at the dock.  I am assuming it's because the battery (which weighs about 44#s) is on the starboard side.
So...I figured maybe I would get something to mount on the port side to even things out.  I was thinking maybe some lead sheets.  Just have to figure out where to get them.  Any other ideas?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

NateD

Water jug? Sand bag? Maybe another battery to boost capacity and even the weight? Another anchor/chain?

rbh1515

Good ideas.  In the starboard locker there is a shelf for the battery.  No shelf on the port side, so I'll need to figure out where exactly I can put something that won't bounce around.  Fortunately I don't need another battery. 
Rob

Mokey7

You can always get dive weights. They are small sacs of lead balls, in 1lb increments, up to 5lbs. Small & flexible.

rbh1515

I found a local company that will sell me some lead 12" x 12" sheets, and there is a place in the port rear locker that I can put them!
Rob

crazycarl

i was a range officer at work for 6 years.

when the shooters finished qualifing, they retrieve their brass.

if i had newbies, i made them retrieve their lead. ;)

i have over 200 lbs in my basement waiting to be melted for that boat i'll build "some day".

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Craig

Rob, Left unprotected those lead sheets will oxidize fairly quickly  and could make a mess/hazard. Just a thought. I would not worry too much about the "list" of your boat. Mostly it will be cancelled out when sailing.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

Craig,
I read on a web site that lead was ideal for this purpose because it did not oxidize.  I'll check again.
Rob

rbh1515

Craig,
From the MarsMetal web site in regards to lead sheets:
Rob

THE VERSATILITY OF SHEET LEAD AND ITS USES
Sheet lead possesses many benefits that make it highly desirable in a variety of applications. Lead is a very soft metal that can be easily formed and cut to size by hand at room temperatures without work hardening. Lead is a nonferrous metal so it does not rust and its inherent density coupled with its high limpness value give it many uses in industry. Sheet lead is highly resistant to corrosion so it is a desirable product to use for tank linings for corrosive acids and strong industrial chemicals and corrosion resistant sealing gaskets. It is equally practical for use in salt water applications and is very good for roofing applications where it resists the effects of acid rain.  Its high limpness value and its consistent density make it a very good sound damper and very effective at isolating vibration. It is waterproof and is often used as the waterproof barrier beneath fountains, reflecting pools and even shower stall bases.

rbh1515

Craig,
Sorry to reply with a third response, but I just remembered something.  My previous house was built in 1927, and had the original beautiful leaded glass windows.  The lead actually becomes nicer over time, and develops a  patina. It doesn't corrode.
We eventually replaced the windows with nice new Marvin windows, and to retain the original look, had a contractor come in and apply a special lead tape.  It was untreated lead.  It was a bit shiny, and the contractor said it would look better in a few years...he was correct.
Ten years ago when I was looking for a new boat in the 28-30 foot range, it came down to a new Catalina or a new Beneteau.  I ruled out the Beneteau based on them having iron keels, which can be a maintenance issue.  The Catalina had lead, which is very stable.
Rob

Tom L.

If it were me I would shift equipment to put the boat on it's lines. NOT add weight that is relatively useless.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

Tom, tried moving equipment but there isn't much...it's a small boat with a tiny cabin.  The listing is no big deal for sailing.  The problem is I get a pool of water sitting on the deck next to the cockpit.  30-35#s of lead makes sense to me.  Most of these boats have an onboard diesel.  That adds some weight.  I just have a 30# Torqeedo!
Rob

Tom L.

I see, you have new a boat and you haven't had time to fill it up with junk. After a while you will collect enough junk, AKA boat equipment, to put her on her lines. In the mean time lead or sand bags will do. All the best with your new yacht.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

Well, I've accumulated a lot of stuff from my last 3 boats, just no room for stuff on this boat.  This boat is all about daysailing! I should start selling some of the stuff I don't need...winch handles and such.
Rob

Craig

Thanks Rob. Learn something every day! I was influenced by the condition of some old lead sinkers I got rid of before we moved to Fl and the condition of recovered lead bullets from our shooting club. I would suspect the type of alloy could make a difference.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL