a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Charts

Started by deisher6, June 12, 2015, 01:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

I wanted some charts far a trip where I helped an acquaintance bring a boat from New England to Washing DC. 

The skipper's plan was to go down Long Island Sound through NYC out Sandy Hook down the Jersey shore to Lewes, through the Canal up  the Delaware River, through the C&D Canal to the Chesapeake down the Chesapeake to the Potomac and up the Potomac to DC.  I had never sailed with the skipper before so I wanted to check out the route before starting.  I borrowed some 1998 Chart Books  from a friend but did not like them for the big picture.  Looking around the NOAA site for charts and recommended sellers, the random merchants that I checked out were pretty expensive, $18-$30 a chart depending on size and paper.

Eventually I downloaded the PDF files that I wanted free from the NOAA site and had them printed at Staples on regular paper for around 9-10$ each.

They worked well and we both used them on the trip along with the skipper's older Chart Books.  I liked the charts better because they were very much up to date as of March - April.  I also find them more convenient to use in the cockpit.

I recommend Staples...

regards charlie

Tom L.

Charlie, what was the sheet size you used at Staples?
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

deisher6

Hey TomL:
I had them printed full size.  They all fit on their (Staples) largest printer paper.  I think that their widest paper is 36 inches.
I was very pleased with the quality and currency of the resulting charts.  Some of them had extra paper in the margins.

Hope that this helps.

regards charlie

Bob23

Charlie:
   Great idea! I've used Staple for printing architectural plans. Back in the day, architects would give us 3 sets of plans. Now the just send the PDF and we have to absorb the costs of the plans. Last house I bid was a 74 page set of plans...cost me a fortune!
Bob23

MKBLK

Sounds like a good idea. I think "Elk River" mentioned something about using Thompson Water Seal to waterproof 'em.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

deisher6

Hey Tim:
My dividers, compass and pencil lines would keep messing up the screen.
regards charlie

HeaveToo

The Potomac River is my home water.  I have been from D.C. to the mouth.  I have been up the Chesapeake Bay as far North as Annapolis and as far south as Hampton. 

When you come into the Potomac River start thinking North or South.  If the wind is out of the North stay to the MD side of the river.  If it is a South wind stay to the VA side of the River. 

Anchorages on the MD side near Point Lookout are:  Smith Creek (several but my favorite and most used is the third cove on the left, you will see Point lookout Marina but you won't go up the creek to it), the St. Mary's River (Right off the College of St. Mary's and they have a sailing team there and you can tie up to their dock for a bit to charge your batteries and fill your water tank), Price's Cove off of St. Georges Creek (Off shoot of the St. Mary's River), Herring Creek (A.K.A. Tall Timbers, there is a marina there with an okay restaurant but it is a bit dilapidated), Bretton Bay (You can go all the way to Leonardtown, MD or there are a few others in there), Canoe Neck Creek (Just of St. Clements Bay), Cobb Island (nice anchorage and a few good marinas and restaurants there), Mattawoman Creek (anchored here once and it was pretty good).  All of these anchorages have excellent holding and deeper water.  I use a 22lb. Lewmar Claw with 30' of chain.

Anchorages on the VA side:  Coan River (a few anchorages here but my fav is off to the right past the campground when you go into the Coan River), Yeomico River (My favorite anchorage is called Palmer Cove and there is a nice marina called Ovelerson's Marina where I filled up this past year), Lower Machodoc (okay anchorage here by I have only used it once and don't prefer it), Nonomi Bay, Colonial Beach (my home port and it has three marinas and a few anchorages with access to town), and Aquia Creek (5' depth most of the way through and I have only anchored here once).  Once you get past the Rt. 301 bridge the anchorages aren't that good.  Again, good holding.

Check out Active Captain.  There are marks for all of these anchorages.

There are so many great places to visit on you trip.  Let me know about when you will be in my area and maybe I will see you out there.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

deisher6

Hey HeaveToo:
The skipper had a set date to meet family in DC so we didn't terry any.  The only place that I really wanted to visit was Quantico.   Unfortunately I left my wallet & ID at home.  So we could not dock there.  Wife and I stopped by Quantico when driving the skipper's car back to New Bern.  I was amazed how much MCB Quantico and Quantico Town had changed, actually glad that we didn't stop there.  It was a much nicer place in the late'60's and 70's.

If I make it back up your way will give you a buzz.

regards charlie

BruceW

I think it would be handy to have a smaller chart of Upper Broad Creek, the Neuse from Minnesott to New Bern, and one for the theoretical part of the river, from Minnesott to Oriental, etc.

Maybe I'll look into the pdf idea. I do have a chart book, but it's got some clutter in it, and divides the pages in places I don't like sometimes.

I could take a front and back page, or two back to back and laminate them, or put them in a waterproof sleeve.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

deisher6

Hey Bruce:
Break out a few bucks and get the latest version of MAPTECH #90 Pamlico and Neuse Rivers.  Printed both sides waterproof handy.
Its my goto map for sailing around the Neuse.
regards charlie

BruceW

Cool, Charlie, that looks like a good one.

I have a couple rolled up big charts. I don't like how big they are. I want a handy size.

Just ordered it for in-store pickup at West Marine.
Bruce Woods

TJ

I picked up #90 and #91 From the Provision Co. in Oriental, they stock several for the area.  They also have the GMCO Waterproof Chart Book in stock which comes in handy too.  At the time I picked mine up they were a couple bucks cheaper than West Marine.   tj
1983 Com-Pac 19 #176

BruceW

I got mine from WM, and with free shipping, it was about the same price.

Anyway, I also have another waterproof one I found, so I'm fixed up with actual charts.

I can use a combo of charts, fishfinder type depth, etc. I don't have much to worry about on depth. But I do want to be careful. I found a couple weeks ago that the 3 ft area between Upper Broad Creek and Goose Creek on the Neuse was actually 4.9 feet that day, due to the river level, I guess.

I draw 2 ft 3" as I recall.
Bruce Woods