a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ventilation

Started by rbh1515, May 28, 2015, 10:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

I've had my Horizon Day Cat in the water for about a week, and I have noticed that every time its rained (its been raining a lot), there was a puddle of water on the V berth, right below the cowl vent.  There is no dorade between the cowl vent and the deck, so water can come right on through.  I am planning on taking the cowl vent off, and somehow sealing the hole--may take the retainer ring for the cowl vent and have a glass company make tempered glass that can fit inside and have a small sky light.  I don't think it will be a problem not having a vent....looks like most Com-Pacs don't have vents, at least the regular Horizon Cat doesn't.  I have a couple of tubs of damp rid in the boat to keep the moisture out.  Any other suggestions?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

peterg

We removed the cowl vent and replaced it with a stainless steel solar vent- have not had any mold/moisture issues.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

rbh1515

Peter,
Do you have a Horizon Day Cat, or do they use the cowl on other boats?
Rob

peterg

A cowl is used on numerous Compac models- I've had them on 19s, 23s, and 27s, but the current boat is a 23 with the forward cowl removed and replaced with the solar powered vent. The panel eventually died on the unit, and I replaced it with a comparable small unit procured on eBay, and replaced the rechargeable C battery with a generic one, rather than the 20 buck unit from the manufacturer. Keeps the interior fresh while Beagle3 sits at the dock, and I've never had any water intrusion.
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

rbh1515

Peter,
Did your cowl vents ever have a dorade, or was it just attached directly to the deck?
If it was just attached to the deck, did you get water in the boat like me?
Rob

rogerschwake

From what I can tell from the pictures of your boat, you have a Vetas vent. I would think it would have the name on it or Com-Pac could tell you. Vetas makes a water trap or dorade box to fit this vent, that should take care of your problem. It would fit between the deck and the vent and divert the water on to the deck and not into the cabin. Hope this was of some help. I hate the color green after spending a few years in the army and 30 years at John Deere and you are making me green with envy. Have a great first year with your new boat.

rbh1515

Roger,
Yes it is a Vetus, and there is a dorade box I could buy.  Here is the problem.  The current opening is 3".  I need 3 3/4" for the dorade.  Plus, the deck is too thick for the dorade in this area (I think, according to the spec sheet).  I really don't want to try and open this area up more, and I just don't think the ventilation form this single cowl is that great.
Rob

Craig

Rob, The std HC does not have a cowl vent. Since you have the hole the solar vent seems like a good/simple way to go. Was the cowl vent a standard item or was it an option? Does Vetus make a cap for the vent? On a previous boat we owned the vent came with a watertight deck plate that replaced it in the event of bad weather. Looking at the specs looks like there is a deck plate available. Actually it appears the vent should have come with one. You might want to call Compac and check on it. It may be in the boat somewhere!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

Craig,
I thought for sure Vetus would have a screw on cap for the vent hole...nope.
There is a plate, but all it is, is a thin circular disk of stainless steel.  You use it in place of the circular metal bug screen.  The metal disk does not form a water tight seal.  I called Vetus to confirm this.  I have had the metal disk in place, and I get leaking when it rains.  Vetus designed this to be used with their dorade.  Oh well!
Rob

mayrel

You might consider making your own dorade box.  I'm know you can find a diagram and/or instructions to follow on line.  It's just a simple baffle system that lets the air in and keeps the water out.  I would think you could make one up fairly shallow not to be an obstruction on deck....just a thought.  You could use thin plywood, epoxy sheath the outside with 6 oz fiberglass cloth to give it structural strength, epoxy inside with a couple of applications, drill the hole for your vent, and paint it with some good quality deck paint.  I'd think you'd want to thru-bolt it to the deck from the inside if possible, adding a little 3M4200 for the seal.  You can epoxy/screw some angle aluminum brackets for thru-bolting the dorade to the deck. The remaining hole in the deck could be left alone; isn't that where you have the stainless screw in plate and mosquito screen?  I'm not sure if you wouldn't need to transfer this ring to the dorade to mount the vent itself.  You can probably buy this deck ring separately; if so, leave the one in the deck now and use the second one to mount the vent in your dorade.  Even if you don't feel confident in making this yourself, I'm sure you can find somebody locally to fabricate it for you; might be a little pricey?  I have learned fiberglassing and using epoxy isn't that difficult, just take your time and think each step through.  You might practice on a scrap board to get the hang of applying the epoxy resin to the glass cloth.  You can buy slow curing hardner which gives you more time to work.  I agree it's expensive, but it might be your best solution to get a properly functioning dorade/vent, and make it look professionally done...just my two cents...John

Bob23

This has worked well for me on my 23. Bought from Defender and cut down because it looked too high. Also I wanted the top level. No leaks inside and because my boat is moored, there is always air entering the vent.

skip1930

Doesn't the head sail sheets become entangled on the vent?
I always keep that 'sweep' area clear just for this reason.
Once in a great while the sheet even is caught by the hatch.

As to ventilation, yea ... it's necessary.

skip.

Bob23

Nothing gets snagged. I devised this simple "cage" made from scrap line to cover the area. I put it up when I sail and unsnap it when I'm done. And no, I've never tripped over it yet.

rbh1515

Unfortunately I don't have room for a box...the boom is overhead, and when you drop the mast, you need to slide the boom down.  Not much clearance.  Also, it would get in the way of the boom kicker.  Of course with the cat rig, don't really have any worries about snagging...the beauty of the cat rig...simple, one sail.
Rob

Shawn