a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Packing for a longer cruise

Started by HeaveToo, May 14, 2015, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brackish

Another idea I had would be to fabricate some kind of shower curtain that hangs from the bimini.  That way you wouldn't have to wear a bathing suit while showering.  Any thoughts on that one?

Yeah, cruise where I do.  There is rarely anyone at our anchorages.  Skinny dipping and showering Au Natural is the rule of the day.:)  Seriously though, when we did our bareboat charter in the Virgin Islands, it was only the Americans who were always clothed.  The Europeans seemed to strip down at a moments notice.

On the deeper sink, when I installed pressure water I intended to replace the sink with a deeper, larger model.  Problem is it drains out a thru hull fitting above the waterline but as low as it can go.  A deeper sink would not drain unless you chose to drain it in the bilge then pump it out which I do not want to do.

When I installed my sliding drawer for the cooler it worked out that here is about three inches on either side of the Yeti and most dry food boxes, bags and jars will fit along there just fine.  Really makes it easy to keep all the food in one place and very easily accessible.  

Nice link on the fitted sheet.  I'm in the process right now, just cut it out have to sew the corner French seams and sew in the elastic.

The biggest help in not cluttering up the boat is to not take what you don't need.  When my wife and I walked the Camino De Santiago across Northern Spain a couple of years ago, we really learned what is necessary and what is not.  In that case carrying everything on your back for 500 miles weight is the issue, but stuff also needs space.

Bob23

I also have this shower and it's great. I was wondering if a large fender holder would fit around it but because I know they're pricey, I haven't checked it out.
Bob

crazycarl

i attach it to the stern rail.

now here's a trick that ALWAYS works for me.     

make plenty of  noise while showering.  this will attention.

once others see you, they'll give plenty leeway and those once crowded coves will become your secluded paradise!

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

HeaveToo

I hear you Brackish, but it is me who wants the privacy.  I don't want to put the poor fellow cruisers through that sight!!!!!!!

I am trying to avoid weight in the stern.  I have plenty of weight back there so I am attempting to move some forward.  Oh heck...If I get enough weight back there and enough breeze maybe I can make my Compac 23 plane with the spinnaker up!  LOL

Interesting point that you make about a deeper sink.  Maybe the addition of a folding tap will help since the tap will have a lot more clearance when up.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

atrometer

You can also use a plain garden sprayer - jump in slat water/wash off with" joy", rinse w/sprayer - suit or not

nies

Had been in a sailboat once and read Manry's book and was hooked on small boat sailing, purchased a Luger 16' kit boat and have never looked back........................nies

If one Goggles it, you can look~see how packed she was.

Tinkerbelle Revised With New Improved Design

Anyone remember 1965 and the epic voyage of Robert Manry in his TINKERBELLE, a 13-foot centerboard sailboat? The 48-year-old Manry, a newspaperman from Cleveland, Ohio, made a trans-Atlantic, 3,200-mile trip in 78 days. He wrote a book called Tinkerbelle, which is long out of print.

His trip was not intended to set a record, but did come on the heels of such trips as that of William Andrews in his 14'-6" SAPOLIO and John Riding in his 12-ft. SEA EGG. The record for the smallest boat across the Atlantic was the APRIL FOOL, at a hair under 6 ft. This was in 1968 and was sailed by airline pilot Hugo Vihien. But then in 1983, Eric Peters sailed TONIKY NOU, at 5'-10 1/2" across.

And so we will doubtless see even smaller boats try it. But Manry's boat was a "real boat," not some pot designed more as a "container. TINKERBELLE was a modified Whitecap class sloop built by the Old Town Canoe Co. Manry added a cabin to this otherwise open boat.

But to the present - the new TINKERBELLE 2 is an adaptation in some respects, an improvement on the original. The dimensions of the hull are the same, but some minor changes have been made in order to make it a faster boat. In addition, the centers are more properly located and the sail area has been increased. While the original boat was clinker-built, the new version is double-chine plywood in order to make it more suitable for amateur building. She will sleep two below and carry a fair amount of gear and there is an added large locker aft of the cockpit.

TINKERBELLE loaded with supplies/or the Trans-Atlantic trip. Space does not allow for a complete list, but the important ones are: (8) 40 bottles of drinking water; (6, 17, 27) flotation foam planks: (1,3) bags of food, (4,5) bags of clothes, blankets, etc. There are also extra sails, more food, navigation books, instruments, spare parts, a solar still, oars, bilge pump and much more.

Foam flotation blocks may be carried in the stowage areas or glued to the underside of the deck. The mast is easily lowered. TINKERBELLE 2 is designed to be easily trailered and can be built in a one-car garage.

Specifications:

•LOA l3'-6" (4.1m)

•Beam 5~6'' (1.68m)

•Displacement 500 Ibs. (14.15 kg)

•Sail area III sq. ft. (10.3 sq.m)

Plans consist of table of offsets, construction details of stations, centerboard trunk details, profile and sail plan, detailed plan views and mast cross section. Price $20 plus $5.50 shipping and handling in the U.S. (International shipping is $15.) Midwest Engineering & Design, PO box 4706, Overland Park, KS 66204-0706. Web site:
http://www.angelfire.com/ks/diyplans/tinkerbelle2.html
E-mail: howtoplans@yahoo.com

Sidebar: So this guy is in the middle of the ocean in a 13-1/2 foot boat and a periscope pops up a few yards from TINKERBELLE.
I'd die of fright !

skip.[/color]

[/quote]

mattman

I try to be in the water as much as possible in terms of hygiene plus I just like to swim. I use a combined shampoo and conditioner which tends to greatly lessen the issue of salt. Others add a bit of fabric softener to the salt water and they say it is no different than a fresh water rinse plus a nice smell! Also anytime there is decent rain, out comes the shampoo and loofah.

brackish

Interesting point that you make about a deeper sink.  Maybe the addition of a folding tap will help since the tap will have a lot more clearance when up.

I have a folding tap and it would let you raise the sink to achieve a deeper sink and still get it to drain, but it would make it difficult to use sitting down and as you know, these boats don't have standing headroom.  What would work I can't find.  A deep, flat bottom, rectangular or square sink that has a horizontal side outlet similar to what ice coolers have.  that would let you use the space that the tailpiece and hose attachment take up in the vertical dimension.  That's about three inches.  You would have to sponge it out to get the last drop, but that would be OK.  Can't find one, thinking about having one made, or modifying a standard sink.

HeaveToo

You could always use the cockpit shower to clean the bigger stuff.  Rinse to the side of the boat, scrub, and rinse again.

If you just had a flat bottom wider and slightly longer sink it could help.  The bowl shaped sink makes it a pain because you loose a lot of space.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

capt_nemo

brackish, & others looking for deeper sinks,

Go to your nearest restaurant supply source and look at the thin Stainless Steel steam table inserts of various size.

You can cut a drain in the sidewall to satisfy your plumbing needs and gain space below.

I made a sink from a deep rectangular SS steam table insert with nice bottom drain for my Sun Cat but have never installed it. Chose to use the simple method shpwn in the photo below. I'm quite satisfied with my "no plumbing" keep it simple solution.

capt_nemo

brackish

Quote from: HeaveToo on May 16, 2015, 02:29:53 PM
You could always use the cockpit shower to clean the bigger stuff.  Rinse to the side of the boat, scrub, and rinse again.

If you just had a flat bottom wider and slightly longer sink it could help.  The bowl shaped sink makes it a pain because you loose a lot of space.

True enough.

What I do now is just use the sink for a final clean.  After scraping pots, pans, dishes go in a mesh bag, vigorous juking of said bag over the side to remove all the organic matter, then final clean in the sink.

HeaveToo

Brackish, that is a really good idea of an original scrub over the side.  Then again, where I sail some of the anchorages have those lovely jelly fish.  Those get their tentacles on the mesh bag and it would be a pain in the ass. 

This also brings up the subject of trash....what do you do with trash storage?  I hate putting trash in lockers, etc.  I will wash out anything that could stink and I am careful with the trash...still, I hate putting it in a locker.  I hate having a bag in the cockpit. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

brackish

This also brings up the subject of trash....what do you do with trash storage?

One of my next projects.  I bought a Gamma Seal lid which will fit a standard 3.5 to 5 gallon bucket.  It is air and liquid tight.  I hope it will fit in a cockpit locker, if so, I'll build out a flat surface and put it there, if not I'll lash it someplace out of the way.  I hang plastic grocery bags, one in the cabin, one in the cockpit and when full, they will go in the gamma seal bucket.  Additionally it will be the place for used Wag Bag storage.

Go to your nearest restaurant supply source and look at the thin Stainless Steel steam table inserts of various size.

Great idea Capt_Nemo, those are inexpensive and look like they can be easily modified with a side drain.

HeaveToo

Trash has always been an issue.  The good part is that I stop for ice at least every other day.  I usually off load trash then, fill up water tanks, and pump out the head (or dump the porta potty). 

I was thinking for particularly bad things keeping a bottle of bleach and water and spraying it down, rinse off, and then trash.  That would be like things that held meat.

It does help to pre-plan and pre-pack foot.  I always take the meat out of the original container.  I store them in ziplock bags and if I marinade it I will put the marinade with it in the sealed bag.  I then freeze it, if it will be eaten after the first day.  This has worked well for me but containers that have had raw fish or chicken tend to be the biggest issue.  If I shot them with a little bleach and let them dry before trashing them it probably help.

The sealed bucket is a good idea, especially with the wag bags.  I still can't imagine using them.  I still think I want a MSD Porta Potty eventually.  Hook it up to a macerator and also have deck pumpout and I would be a happy camper.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

brackish

Hook it up to a macerator and also have deck pumpout and I would be a happy camper.

LOL, you would be until you got back from your cruise after Marina open hours with a full holding tank, have to drive 40 miles home then drive back the next day and pay the marina to do the pump out during office hours.

Don't knock what you haven't tried.  Believe me I've had deck pump out holding tanks, portable potties with removable holding tanks, and Wag Bags.  The Wag Bags win by such a margin that I don't even bother to compare any more.  And you said you dump your trash every day when you get ice or provisions.  Perfect for Wag Bags.

Oh and it is such a pleasure when you have to rebuild those permanent toilets when the seals start to bypass and they don't work quite right.  I've done that a couple of times and you will have to do it.