a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing Coolant in Westerbeke 20b

Started by Patrick, May 04, 2015, 09:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

I'm in the midst of maintenance on this new to me cp27 and am needing to replace the fresh water coolant. I've scoured the manuals and interwebs but cannot find the procedure to drain the block for the 20b. The 30b has a block drain but does something like that exist for the 20b?  Are there many of them out there in the CP land?

Thanks for any advice.  The next step after this is the exhaust elbow replacement ;)

Patrick
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Tney88

I have the same engine in my CP-27, but the only time I have changed the coolant I was also replacing all the hoses at the same time, so I just drained it from the most conveniently accessible hose (conveniently accessible being a relative term).  I don't find any mention of a drain plug in the manual, so no help there, I'm afraid.

Terry Ney
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Dogboy

if this is a 20B-two, the manual is the same as the 30b.  The coolant plug should be just above and to the rear of the oil filter.  Procedure is on page 16 of this manual.

I have the 12c-two, and had trouble locating it, but it was where it is advertised in the manual.  Good luck.
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC

deisher6

Our Universal 12 also has a zinc in the exchanger...worth doing at the same time if present on your model.
regards charlie

Patrick

Quote from: Dogboy on May 05, 2015, 03:28:11 PM
if this is a 20B-two, the manual is the same as the 30b.  The coolant plug should be just above and to the rear of the oil filter.  Procedure is on page 16 of this manual.

I have the 12c-two, and had trouble locating it, but it was where it is advertised in the manual.  Good luck.

I read that and also looked at page two where the diagram of the Three model shows the plug. The problem is in the TWO, there isn't room. Look here at page 5 for an actual image of the TWO. You can compare page 7 with 5 and see that the plug is not there nor is it even labeled.

I see other openings with Allen wrench fittings but I don't want to just open random ones. 
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

Tney88

Dogboy, I appreciate the link to that manual, it's a more comprehensive one than I received with my boat.

Terry Ney
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

Dogboy

Quote from: pgudat on May 05, 2015, 05:18:22 PM
I read that and also looked at page two where the diagram of the Three model shows the plug. The problem is in the TWO, there isn't room. Look here at page 5 for an actual image of the TWO. You can compare page 7 with 5 and see that the plug is not there nor is it even labeled.

I see other openings with Allen wrench fittings but I don't want to just open random ones. 

That looks like my engine.  Look at page 8 and compare to your engine photo.  I'd bet it's the bolt in the same spot on yours.  Not sure if I'd take the bet if I had to clean up the consequences though.  Best of luck. I'm new to my boat/engine and have been getting familiar with the manuals and hoped they would help.
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC