a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder hitting prop question...

Started by mayrel, April 23, 2015, 11:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

I just purchased a 95' CP19.  The PO installed a plexiglass guard to keep the rudder from hitting the prop on the motor.  He has the motor mounted as far out(to port)as possible.  I just ordered a RudderCraft foiled rudder blade; I'm concerned about this rudder/prop issue.
The motor is an 8hp two-stroke tohatsu and it's in the lowest position on the motor mount.  It's a long shaft.  Seems to me this shouldn't be an issue, period.
Any comments/suggestions are welcome...first time CP19 owner...John

Bob23

Same problem on my 23. The solution? Don't drive the rudder into the prop. Someone makes a linkage system so the motor is turned with the tiller so that would be a solution. The thought of damaging and repairing my wood foiled rudder blade keeps me from letting the two become close friends.
Bob23

wes

Yep, I've got a few scars on my rudder that are suspiciously prop-shaped. I've gotten into the habit of turning both rudder and motor together when maneuvering in tight quarters. In open water I keep the motor lned up with the boat axis, and steer with the rudder. Live and learn.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

The only time the rudder on my 23 can hit the prop with the motor aligned and locked fore and aft is if the rudder kicks up.  Found this out when I ran aground and was trying to maneuver out of the shallows.  A little Marine Tex and all is well.  However, I know to center the rudder immediately if it kicks up now.  I also solved the problem of nuisance kick ups by altering the lock down tab on the rudder.

Craig

PowerTiller (powertiller.com) makes an easy to install motor-rudder linkage system. Had it on my Suncat and loved it. Makes docking/undocking a piece of cake. Can be instantly disconnected/reconnected if needs be.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

skip1930

Rudder hitting prop question ... put the rudder ALL the way down and lock her down. I pin my rudder down, not just squeeze the hold down bolt tight.

skip.

mayrel

I found the PowerTiller on the net, but not much information(photos or prices); I emailed them to get more info.  I already have the single lever throttle/gear control, so all I need is the linkage to connect the rudder and motor, and still allow me to raise the motor when sailing.  If anyone has photos, a diagram or a source to find this linkage, I sure will be appreciative....John

mayrel

I just researched west marine; they have linkage to attach two outboard motors(one main motor, the other a kicker)which should work.  It comes with a 24" connecting rod, so it may have to be cut to size; this is included in the instructions.  First I'll measure the distance between my rudder and motor.  I want to be sure I can raise the motor when sailing; I don't think it matters if the motor moves with the tiller/rudder.  The add explains it's easy to disconnect when not needed, so I may have to disconnect it when sailing to raise the motor?  Maybe this will work?  I'll keep you guys posted....thanks, John

nies

[                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I have attached this linkage to my motor and tiller ,works great except depending on motor may take some modifications which mine did, there is a DYI somewhere on how to.................nies                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       quote author=mayrel link=topic=8450.msg62855#msg62855 date=1429920302]
I just researched west marine; they have linkage to attach two outboard motors(one main motor, the other a kicker)which should work.  It comes with a 24" connecting rod, so it may have to be cut to size; this is included in the instructions.  First I'll measure the distance between my rudder and motor.  I want to be sure I can raise the motor when sailing; I don't think it matters if the motor moves with the tiller/rudder.  The add explains it's easy to disconnect when not needed, so I may have to disconnect it when sailing to raise the motor?  Maybe this will work?  I'll keep you guys posted....thanks, John
[/quote]

Craig

I used to have pictures of the installation on the Suncat but alas they are gone. The installation is quite simple. Two lines,two blocks, two stick on attachment brackets to attach the lines to the OB, two snap shackles and an eyepad to attach the lines to the tiller. I didn't even have to drill any holes. I attached the blocks to the boom gallows using SS hose clamps. Does not interfere with raising the OB. If you look at the demo videos you can get an idea how it works. By the way the videos are accurate. Maneuvering IS as easy as it looks! A simple but very effective product. A unexpected bonus is that the friction of the motor pivot brake stabilizes the tiller if tightened slightly, allowing the boat to self-steer for short periods of time. Nice if you have to leave the tiller for sail adjustment etc.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

ChuckO

Ahoy !

Best solution I've found is the Power Thruster   (www.powerthruster.com).  Actually designed to provide directional thrust from your outboard's prop giving you more power.  At the same time it keeps the prop from hitting the rudder.  I attached one of these to a Nissan motor on a WWP-19 I owned for 10 years ... worked GREAT.  They sell for under $100 and are a much better fix than any of my "home brew engineering wonder contraptions"

I also installed the "Prop Saver" on a Yamaha engine I had on a Carolina Skiff.  A circular devise that surrounds the prop and helps protect it from underwater hazards and enables you to get in close to stumps, rocks and seaweed  (google: Mac's Prop Saver). About $135.

Both products are well designed and constructed of heavy stainless Steel that served me well.

ChuckO'
CP16/2 Carpe Diem
Charleston, SC

mayrel

I like the power thruster concept, but I still need to devise a method to control steering of the motor/rudder at the same time.  The power tiller site doesn't offer much on how their system is installed or any detailed photos/diagrams; I've emailed them twice now requesting information with no response.  However, looking at their videos, it appears they use a simple line and block system to turn the motor with the tiller simultaneously.  I see a line to the rear of the motor to a block on the stern deck to the tiller, and another line on the front of the motor to a block on the other side and to the tiller.  If anyone has this system, can you email me photos?  mayrel47@conx.net  early thanks, John

mayrel

I solved this issue with a new Tohatsu Pro-Sail with 25" shaft.  I replaced a 95' Tohatsu 8hp two stroke, a good running motor still, but it was time to upgrade.  I might add, the 6hp Pro-Sail has significantly more thrust, is very quiet and smooth(for a single cylinder).  I would highly recommend this motor for the CP19.

mayrel

I also ordered a "Mac's prop saver" from West marine, this will for sure keep the rudder from hitting the prop.

BruceW

I used the power thruster on my old suncat; worked great. I lost it in my garage somewhere, haha, but when we clean the garage, I hope to find it. Otherwise, I'm getting another one for the 23. Might need a new one anyway, since the Tohatsu prop could be a different size than my old Nissan one was 15 years ago.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23