a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Things breaking on Nomad

Started by hoddinr, April 10, 2015, 08:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

Went sailing today despite the throat halyard fitting being broken when I looked at it before raising sail.  Had to improvise with a 1/4 inch line.  Don't really know what this piece is called.  It's where the shackle is attached at the throat.  I must have lowered the mast on it because it was working last time I went out.  two welds failed at the point where it attaches.

Also the first time I used my new Ronstan Battle Stick tiller extension, the rubber part broke.  Didn't even have any pressure on it!  Just snapped.  Weird.  It's going back tomorrow.

I guess the stainless part at the throat is a call to ComPac Yachts.

On top of that a fuel hose fitting that attaches to the engine failed at it's all important O-Ring seal.  Second time.  It's going back tomorrow too.

But... the best part was that the wind blew 10-14 knots today, and I got a better idea of how she goes when the wind picks up.  Impressed!  Recorded 4.8- 5 MPH going upwind, and 5.6 off the wind.

crazycarl

Sounds like a normal sailing day to me.

CC
s/v missadventure
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Craig

Damage to the throat fitting/gooseneck is a common thing on Mastender equipped boats, The main function of the much discussed long pin is to hold the sail and fittings below the hinge to prevent that kind of damage. Good practice to put the pin in prior to lowering mast. I had to learn from experience that the gooseneck can creep up above the hinge if the long pin is not in. Lucky for me that I caught the binding before any serious damage was done!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom L.

Ron, any chance the boomkicker forced the boom up when lowering the mast. BTW I too always put in a long pin when I lower the mast, just to be sure.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

kickingbug1

speaking of sailing day, when are you coming down. rich and i are sailing tomorrow morning get in the mini and head south.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

hoddinr

I did put in the long pin before lowering, but somehow it still managed to break.

Maybe, as Tom suggested, the boom kicker forced it up enough to connect with the lowered mast. 

I still don't really know the best way to set up the boom kicker.  It's a new idea for me, and kind of a PITA, actually.

I may just remove it and use the lazy jacks to hold the boom up when lowering sail.

I'm thinking that Com-Pac will have the Throat fitting/gooseneck in stock, right?  Calling Monday (tomorrow).

Thanks!
Ron

Tom L.

Darn...I was thinking I wanted a boomkicker. I did wonder how or if it would make it more difficult to lower the mast. It seems it may be an issue.

When getting ready to lower the mast how do you release the boomkicker so it doesn't continue to do it's job and push up the clew end of the boom? Of course this is hind sight but after the boom is lowered below the hinge and the pin is inserted would it be a possibility to use the down haul and pull the main boom down to it's lowest position with some amount of tension? Just wondering.

The boomkicker isn't in my budget for awhile so Ron You have some time to experiment on my behalf...ha ha ha.

I can say for sure that a topping lift and Lazy Jacks to me are a PIA. The gaff often gets on the wrong side and stuck under the topping lift when hauling up the main. And lazy Jacks are too much clutter. When lowering the sail I release the peak enough to get the boom in the gallows and haul in on the sheet to keep it there. The rest is easy so long as the boat is head to wind. But I would like some way to keep the end of the boom up and out of the gallows when lowering the sail  hence the boomkicker.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

Hi Tom,

It's not hard to release the boom kicker before lowering the mast.  You just pull a pin on the track and reposition it.  But I have to go on deck to do that.

More experimenting needed.  I'll keep you informed.

Ron

Craig

Love the Boomkicker! Used topping lift/lazyjacks on previous boats and yes they work fine. That being said they can be a PITA for the reasons cited above. The boomkicker along with the Stack Pack system makes raising/lowering/furlling/stowing sail about as easy as it gets until you move to an in-mast electric furling system with a rigid vang to support the boom (the latter system not really being practical on Compac size boats). Boomkicker does not really add much time to lowering the mast and just a few minutes to raising the mast. Actually raising the mast is the same, just takes a few minutes to re-set the Boomkicker. When properly set up the Boomkicker will hold the boom a few inches over the gallows. Just tighten the sheets to pull the boom into the gallows. The Stack Pack has built-in lazy jacks which once set up, never need to be touched unlike regular lazy jacks which have to be adjusted for sailing and furling. As always "Ya pays yer money ya takes yer choice"! At my age(and singlehanding a lot) I have opted for simplicity and convenience.

Tom L.

Thanks Craig. I sure like the idea of the boomkicker. Eventually I will add this to my boat. When you prepare to lower the mast do you disconnect the boomkicker at the mast end and store it under the sail cover and of course lower the booms along with the kicker below the long pin when trailering?

Tom L.

hoddinr

Visited Gerry at Com-Pac today.  Picked up the throat halyard gooseneck fitting.  At 20 bucks, it's a lot of stainless for very little money!

Gerry's a great guy as everyone attests!

Also got the end fitting of the Ronstan Battle Stick replaced at Tackle Shack in Pinellas Park (FL).  No charge, since they sold it to me and it broke the first time I used it.
While there I purchased the hardware to install a throat halyard downhaul with a block on a spring attached to the mast base leading back to the cockpit, and appropriate line.

So I guess everything will be working again once I install the throat halyard fitting.  Have to take out two bolts on the mast hinge, and set it aside, and then disassemble and remove the old fitting and reassemble and install the new one.

Ron

Tom L.

That's great news. I never got to meet Gerry but I have talked with Matt and ordered replacement parts. Matt's the parts guy for Com Pac.  You are positively right the whole company treats it's customers like...well like customers.

Tom L

Craig

I disconnect the Boomkicker from the boom track, pad it and let it lie on the top of the cabin. One of the guys here has added an extra length of track which let the boom fitting just slide back after the pin is pulled. Works kind of like a folding umbrella. Brilliant!

Tom L.

Thanks Craig. I thought it had to be something like you described but I like you like the idea of that extra long track. Simply pull the pin and let the kicker slide back under the booms as they are lowered below the long pin.

It's driving me crazy as I want to get on with some of theses additions plus I am missing the prime sailing season here but unfortunately I have a major medical issue with my admiral/crew. Not sure when we will be back in sailing condition.

Tom L.