a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pamlico Sound

Started by crazycarl, March 19, 2015, 05:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

We'll be heading to Oriental, North Carolina next week to meet with a realtor about waterfront properties. 

The idea is to find something for retirement (hopefully within the next 5 years). 

Most of the properties are within a 1/4 mile of the sound itself, up protected waterways.

I'm aware of the sailing history of New Bern and Oriental, but is there anything I should stay away from?

If we move there, and after building a house, I'll look for a 28 to 32 foot sailboat.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

Yes. The main thing you should know is to stop in NJ and pick me up! Did I mention I'm a licensed builder?
Good for you both...have a great time.
Bob23

crazycarl

Bob,

if we drive through D.C on the way home,  you may have the opportunity to wine and dine us!

CC

wes

Carl - first thing to know is that Oriental is on the Neuse River, not the Pamlico Sound. Of course the Neuse is four or fve miles wide at Oriental, so it does look nearly as big as a sound. You might want to chat with Charlie Deisher - he could easily be persuaded to sail his 27 down from New Bern and take you out onto the river.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Tim Gardner

Carl, if you're driving to NC, you'll be passing very close to Smith Mountain Lake!  You have an open invitation to stop here for a wine & dine event! 

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

deisher6

Hey Carl:
I can be persuaded to take our C-27 any place for almost any reason.

The Admiral and I had had previous experience in NC lining at both Camp LeJeune (Jacksonville) and Cherry Point (Havelock) so when we sold our house in eastern MT we had decided to move to eastern NC.  The requirements were a house for Beverly and a sailboat for me.

I searched the internet for homes in Wilmington, Topsail Island (Surf City), Swansboro, Beaufort, Havelock, New Bern.  We settled for New Bern because: housing prices were and still are depressed ($100,000-$250,000 range), ease of getting places by walking and bike, availability of medical care, and finally a nearby base for PX and commissary shopping.

Since moving here, I have found that Washington has many of the same characteristics as New Bern except the last two. It is also a bit smaller than New Bern.  Oriental is much closer to the Intracoastal Waterway than New Bern which makes it more centrally located for sailing, but New Bern has good wind and water. 

Don't rush buying a boat, it is a buyers market near as I can tell.  There are some pretty decent deals available.

Best of luck on your move.

regards charlie

crazycarl

We left a 38*  northern illinois this morning at 615am and stopped in 77* beckley, west virginia for the night.
we hope to make oriental, nc around 1pm tomorrow to meet with the realtor.

Last friday after talking to the realtor, a gentleman from missouri phoned and made a nice offer on the lake lots we own there.

the sale of them makes the nc purchase a lot easier on us.  Looks like things are going our way.

Could mcgyvers recent luck have transcended the forum?

TG,
you've made a very generous offer, i'll contact you some time thursday when we know for sure what we're doing.

CC

fried fish

TOP SECRET
Southport NC
Located on the ICW and the mouth of the Cape Fear River.
This leads directly to the Atlantic, 2 mile sail
Not as big a sailing community as Oriental.
Cool historic town on the waterfront.
Very walkable town.
Little sister to Wimington.
And by the way, I' m also a licensed G.C. In NC and a licensed realtor.
Check it out.
Southport is a real year round village.
Fred

crazycarl

Fried fish,

Let's talk.

I'll pm you my cell..

CC

crazycarl

TG, no cell service here in Oriental. I'll to call tomorrow from New Bern.

On another note...

What's the the 1st sailboat i spot in Oriental?

A 1989 Compac 19!

Took a pic with the tablet, but i don't know how to paste.

CC

PalmettoSailor

Agree with Flying Fish re Southport visit. Beautiful area and quick access to Atlantic Ocean. Populated, lots of excellent restaurants. Plenty of places to explore and enjoy in the old port city of wilmington. Area has excellent beaches as well.
Would be happy to help out with more info if interested. Retired and sailing. No special interests re real estate or building. Send me an email if time allows.
This might be a little late. Just got back from 3 week trip to TX.
Best of luck in your search.
FWIW, New Bern, Washington and Oriental are great eastern NC places.

crazycarl

Just returned to the hotel after looking at properties all day.

We found a lot on Ball Creek outside Merritt, NC.

The view is nice and the water well protected.  The creek splits to Simpson creek and the gunkholing
looks great.

Quiet neighborhood and 5' of water.

The lot next door has a Compac 27 at their dock and there's a 16 at the entrance to the subdivision so at least 2 of the neighbors have good taste.

Fried Fish and Tim, 

We're staying in Oriental at the Oriental Marina and Inn. The phone number here is 252-249-1818 room 32.

FF if we could touch base tonight, we may be able to meet tomorrow.

Carl

kickingbug1

i can just see carl at the helm of his com-pac 35
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Bob23

I can just smell the first PSR! I'm booking in advance!
Bob23