Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

center board leaking

Started by dlandman, August 05, 2006, 10:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlandman

Hello,
I recently purchased a SUn Cat and it is leaking terribly around the centerboard stainless weldment.  Has anyone had this problem and fixed it ?   Is it possible to remove the trunk by unscrewing the flange or does the concrete make it pseudo-permanent ?

Any help would be great - its coming in at 6 gal/hour ....

Paul

Welcome to the forum, dlandman.

I currently sail a CP-16, without a center board trunk.  The model after mine has that, so unfortunately, I don't the experience necessary to thoroughly help.

Having said that, I think what I would do is contact the Com-Pac factory and see what they recommend.  Otherwise, you could get a marine surveyor to check it out and give a recommendation.

Also, you could contact the folks in Richlands, NC who work on Com-Pac regularly.  Their site:  The Sailboat Company

Good luck.

Paul

john walker

sound's like big problem, look at literature that came with boat, show's how they grout centerboard in,  talk to gerri hutchin's.  johnny walker

essenbee

Were you ever able to resolve the water leaking around he certerboard?  I have just purchased a used Suncat and it too is leaking at the centerboard area.  I can't tell if it is the seals around the bolts - if there ever were any - or something else.  Thanks.
essenbee

mayrel

We're looking at the Sun Cat for a simple, easy handling, safe ICW cruising boat.  But I'm concerned about this reported leak around the centerboard; I asked our local dealership, and they haven't had anyone complain of this issue?  And if any of you did contact ComPac, what did they tell you?  Early thanks...John

tmorgan

The age of the boat has to be considered.  Earlier models had a centerboard trunk that was open under the floor.  On later models it was completely housed in a fiberglass mold in the hull.  When you look under the floor in our Sun Cat, you just see the enclosed housing for the centerboard.  What does you boat have?