Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Tires on CP16 Magic Tilt?

Started by GrFa, March 15, 2015, 03:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrFa

Hello all,

Our CP16 is riding on its original Magic Tilt trailer that it came with, running 5.70x8 5 lug wheels.  It's been in storage about ten years, trailer tires are probably close to 20 years old by now.  Before it gets moved the 250 miles up here its going to need new tires.  I will need to be prepared with something that will bolt on when I get down there as making a "test fitting" trip isn't really in the cards.  So I will be buying off the shelf, already mounted, tires and wheels.  It appears the only lug patterns on 8" wheels are 5x4 1/2 so I assume that's what it is?  What is everyone using on their 5 lug Magic Tilt trailers that came with their 16s?  Thanks!

Greg
Greg
78 CP16 hull#763 sv Wren
Owned since 1998

JTMeissner

Greg,

In one of my early posts I discuss changing out tires on an non-original 1984 trailer (Magic Tilt) for my 1975 CP-16, however I had 4-lug hubs not 5.  I bought rims and tires separately as it was difficult to find C-rated tires off the shelf.  Although the trailer says 5.7x8 B rated tires, when loaded, the trailer and boat weighed more than the tire rating.  I then had to shop around as not every tire shop could mount such a small tire (machines couldn't do it as they were too big) and one place tried manually mounting (they gave up after trying to beat the tire into submission).  Believe the bolt pattern to be standard for the tire sizes, I had no issues ordering online or in the store to get rims that fit, but you may want to verify hub sizes.

Now, I did make a 1100 mile trip with new B-rated tires before I put the boat on scales and saw that it was over by a few hundred pounds.  Here's some of that discussion: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=4669.msg32990#msg32990

HTH,
Justin

GrFa

Thanks for the link Justin.  I too will be using a Volvo wagon so a lot of good advice in there.  It sounds like just buying the already set up wheels with load range C tires in the original size should do it. 
Greg
78 CP16 hull#763 sv Wren
Owned since 1998

SMOKEY

Hello All:

Since I usually tow 200 miles round trip to the nearest big lake, I upgraded my tires to 12" and found them with the same 5 lug spacing so I could just bolt them on. Do watch the weight classification on any new tires, bigger doesn't mean higher load rating unless it says so.  I did have a welding shop move the fenders up a few inches so the tires could bounce with the springs and axle.
This is on a magic tilt trailer which seems original as the previous owner seems to have changed nothing on the boat or trailer.

Have fun with your "new" compac. Mine has been a blast and taught me more than I expected.

Smokey
compac 16 "Seahawk"

ChuckO

Ahoy ..

My 1987 CP-16, Carpe Diem, has a Magic Tilt Trailer under her with 5.70-8, 5 lug,  6Ply Rating,  Max Load 910 lbs tires ......... like yours, old, crazed and need replaced

ChuckO
Charleston, SC