a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tan bark sail

Started by rbh1515, March 08, 2015, 01:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

My wife has been watching the series Vikings.  She loves the "red sails" on the Viking ships.  I told her about tan bark sails, and now she wants them for our new HDC.  Anyone have these on their Com-Pac cat boat?  Would love to see them on a boat before I decide to buy one.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Craig

Really like tanbark sails! I think(just me) they look best with a black or darker hull. If/when I get new sails I will go with "Egyptian Cotton". I like the off-white color as it is easier on the eyes in bright sun and has a "traditional" look.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

I had them  on my Seapearl 21. Very striking and head turning but I understand that plain old white has the most UV resistance.
Bob23

rbh1515

Egyptian cotton would look nice.  Is there a synthetic variety, or would you get real cotton?  I presume the real stuff would not be so durable.
Rob

rbh1515

Just searched on line....yep there is Egyptian cotton colored Dacron available.  That would be nice.
Rob

crazycarl

i had tanbark sails on my last boat. beautiful. 

however, the sail maker warned that they will fade with the sun and not to
leave the main flaked on the boom without a cover or it would become striped after several years.

i always used the sail cover and the genoa had a sunbrella strip that covered the sail when furled.

CC

p.s. the hull was a dark green
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

hey carl, what boat was that----you have had a few i think.  my two cents----for a com-pac with its traditional looks---i like the off white Egyptian cotton look.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

that was the starwind 19.  i also like the egyptian.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

deisher6

Hey Rob, here is a set of tanbark sails on our C-16.
regards charlie

Dogboy

Quote from: rbh1515 on March 08, 2015, 03:21:53 PM
Egyptian cotton would look nice.  Is there a synthetic variety, or would you get real cotton?  I presume the real stuff would not be so durable.
Rob

I don't have a picture, but I did purchase an egyptian cotton sail from Judy B Sails for my Sunday Cat.  It looks/feels just like a regular dacron sail, but looks like a cloth sail from a distance.  I really like it with the navy hull.  I will have to see if I can get a picture of it and post it up sometime after I can get the storage place to dig out my little boat.
1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC

hoddinr

They are somewhat easier on the eyes, but if you use tell tales on the sails, it may be hard to read the tell tale on the opposite side of the sail from where you are sitting.

Also, as said before they fade in intense sunlight, so keep them covered,

Ron