News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

More on: one jib sheet for multiple jibs.

Started by deisher6, February 22, 2015, 11:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Have tried several fittings and methods to attach a jib sheet to multiple jibs.  The goal was some sort of attachment that wouldn't hurt to much if swatted with it on the foredeck and easy to attach to multiple jibs.  The last solution was a middle of the sheet splice and a small shackle. (from an earlier post)

It seemed to work pretty well.  However one time the shackle came undone but stayed with the sail.  Thought that was due to carelessness in not completely locking the shackle pin. However yesterday got caught in some rising wind had to luff the jib while getting the main down.  The fitting came loose and disappeared.

I am going back to a simple good old girth hitch and stowing the sheet with the jib.  (I am also going to put more faith in weather prediction and reef early.)

regards charlie

BruceW

Dang; I know there's bound to be a way. I saw one once on Trailersailor, but I never tried it. Oh well. My friend Jeff knows a few knots that don't work for this, haha.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Shawn

Forget the hard shackle. Whip a small loop in the middle of the jib sheet and also whip another small length of line there are well. You pass the loop through the clew and then put the rope in the loop sticking out the other side of the sail. Nice soft shackle (so it won't smack you in the face) and it is very easy and quick to change head sails. I used this setup for years on Serenity (with 3 different headsails) and it worked great. Never once came loose when I didn't want it to.

Details here:

http://herreshoffh28.com/tag/h28/page/4/

Shawn

deisher6

Thanks Shawn:
I have not had much luck with keeping a bite or loop with whipping.  However I could lengthen the splice.  I unsuccessfully tried similar methods twice once on a C-16 and once on the C-27.  I used an eye splice with a crown knot for the toggle on the 27 the doubled line is probably better.  I may give this a try. 

I do use a Hudson's Bay blanket (as suggested in the link)  itchy but very warm.

Thanks again.

regards charlie

capt_nemo

deisher6,

Recommend you return to the total textile soft shackle.

Used extensively on several sailboats for different headsails and NEVER had one come loose or fail on me.

Here is a series of photos that are self explanatory.

capt_nemo

deisher6

OK going to try this one last time before going back to separate sheets for each jib and a girth hitch.

The short line with the eye splice is a toggle that I used on a previous attempt. It pulled through the clew grommet.  The doubled line should work better.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

regards charlie

capt_nemo

deisher6,

Try not to make the large loop any larger than it has to be to get thru the clew cringle and protrude enough for the smaller line to fit thru.

Then PULL EVERYTHING AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN. It will not shake out.

capt_nemo

deisher6

Hey Capt Nemo:
The url recommended 12 inch in diameter loop.  I wondered about this and settled with a 6 inch bite.  We will see how it works. 

The high stress point on the arrangement is the whipping or splice at the base that forms the bite.

Hope to test the sheet soon.

Thanks for your thoughts and expertise.

regards charlie

deisher6

Respects to Capt's Nemo, Shawn and Herrreshoffh:
I tried out the 'universal sheet' soft shackle this weekend.  The weather and winds were pretty tame but it worked like a champ through three jib changes so far..
Thanks.
regards charlie

Craig

Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bob23

Charlie: Is that a cassette tape flying from your shroud?
Bob23

capt_nemo

deisher6,

Don'cha jus luv it when a plan comes together!

Practical, well proven, and time tested "traditional" (not old-fashioned) methods still work quite well indeed.

capt_nemo

deisher6

Bob23:
Yup, sure is a strip of cassette tape....best use that I could currently think of for Joni Mitchell's Greatest Hits.  You think 8 Track would make better tell tales?

regards charlie

Bob23

Yes. 8 tracks would be better. Or reel to reel. I love Joni Mitchell and still have some records. Hey- wonder if I could use some of my old vinyl for radar reflectors?
Bob23

Citroen/Dave

What about three DVD's?  Slit and assembled to make a sphere, there would be reflectance off the aluminum substrate in all directions.  Would it make a big enough target to be seen by the big boats at a distance?  Has anyone tried this or know enough about radar for an opinion?
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"