a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

trailer tongue extension inquiry/suggestion

Started by mayrel, February 09, 2015, 11:43:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

I've found a product called extend-a-hitch in various lengths for around $400.  Seems expensive?  I've had a trailer extension on a Montgomery 17 trailer, essentially the extension is a smaller size square galvanized tube which fits inside the main tongue tubing.  There are two pins, one for towing in the retracted position, the other for launching/retrieving in the extended position. 
Suggestion:  To modify an existing trailer hitch/tongue, it seems you remove the receiver, add the smaller tubing inside the existing tubing, reinstall the receiver on this tubing, then drill a couple of holes in the appropriate position leaving enough of the extension tube inside the main tube for structural support. The only issue here is the wiring for the trailer lights which generally run inside the trailer tongue tubing.  Extending the wiring for reach the extended tongue length is easy enough,however you run the risk of damaging the wiring while moving the extension in and out.  With this in mind, I think it would be more prudent to remove the existing wiring from the tube frame and run it ouside the tongue tubing.  Just have to remember to disconnect the wiring when using the tongue extension, and reconnecting it when you're ready to tow. 
We've just purchased a reconditioned CP16 from Keith at the Sailboat shop; we will be going to get it this week.  I'm hoping Keith might have a piece of tubing which will fit inside the existing trailer tongue tubing I can purchase from him.  I can install it when we get home.
I think a 6' extension would be sufficient for most applications.  I know most concrete boat ramps terminate at some distance which can be a problem if you allow your trailer wheels to drop off the ramp, particularly if you have your boat loaded and attempting to pull it out!  But 6' of tongue extension doesn't mean we have to back down too far!  This requires a spotter and/or finding the end of the ramp and marking it with something on the dock to avoid dropping the trailer off the ramp.  Of course, if we do, we can launch the boat, allowing us to retrieve the empty trailer, then avoid repeating this mistake.
Inquiry:  Have other CP16 owners used a tongue extension(either home made and/or production unit), and how long was your extension, and did it work correctly?  Early thanks for your help...John

hinmo

hoddinr

I bought an 18 inch hitch extension from Northern Tool for $42.  It helps get the trailer in the water without getting the truck wet. It actually extends out 24 inches by the time you add the hitch with the ball on the end.

i have a SunCat.

Tim Gardner

Here's how Dale Smith in Louisiana tackled the hitch extension issue:

If you have a "Hutch Trailer" the tongue bar is rectangular, not square tube in cross section.  This is a good solution in my view.

TG 
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

mayrel

I found another option which I have decided to use.  I have the magic-tilt trailer for our CP16.  The tongue is 2x3 tubing.  I checked with our local fabricator and have ordered a slightly smaller size tubing which will slide into the existing tongue.  Preliminary measurements indicate I can install a 7 1/2 to 8 foot extension.  We'll need to cut the hitch receptacle off the existing tongue as it's welded in place, then weld it to the extension tubing.  I plan to use two pins to secure this extension in two positions.  Retracted into the tongue it will be a little longer than the stock tongue, about 6 to 8 inches.  There will be two holes drilled in the existing tongue, one about 1/8 distance from the hitch end, one about in the middle.  There will be four holes drilled into the extension tubing. Two holes will correspond to the holes in the tongue with the extension retracted for trailering.  Two additional holes will be drilled into the extension tube, one a few inches aft of the two holes for the retracted position for trailering, and another corresponding to the aft hole in the tongue.  Simple, strong and quite inexpensive, less than $100.

Bob23

Mayrel:
   I've read about someone taking this approach. He cautioned about the possibility of the extension getting rusted inside the trailer tube. I guess liberal and regular greasing would solve that potential problem.
Bob23

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on February 21, 2015, 06:23:55 AM
Mayrel:
   I've read about someone taking this approach. He cautioned about the possibility of the extension getting rusted inside the trailer tube. I guess liberal and regular greasing would solve that potential problem.
Bob23

Or after all fab work is finished on the extension, send it out to be hot dip galvanized.  The Performance trailer that came stock with my 23 has that exact setup although the extension length is only 3'.  I've never had to use it, and have only had it extended to inspect for Bob's concern.  In fact it's been a couple of years, time to pull it out and give it a look.  So far with the HDG it is in perfect shape.

fried fish

Hi guys,
I have a 23 with a Performance tandem axle trailer that is bound for A Key Largo.
I recently purchased a12 foot extension from Extend a Hitch which yields about 10 feet of usable extension.
I have used it once to pull the boat out.
It seemed to work great. It was a bit pricey after paying the shipping from California.
It keeps my Tacoma dry the way it should be.
It also beats using chains to back the trailer into water deep enough to float the boat.
Normally I don't use the trailer too much, as our boat "Go Be Do" lives in a slip.
So, I will have some tales I hope about sailing the Keys here shortly and some pics.
I am waiting for clearance from my Dr to be able to use my foot that is recovering from a break.
Too much dancing.
Too much information......
Fried Fish in Southport NC

Bob23

This thread got me thinking: Although I have never done it yet, I will need to launch the mighty Koinonia if I'm able to trailer out to CLR. I was checking out my Load Rite trailer today and a version of Mayrel's idea would work. My trailer wheels have been pampered for the last 8 years- they've never gotten wet! This summer may change all that!
Bob23

mayrel

Just to clarify, the extension is galvanized.  But you made a good point, it wouldn't hurt to add a little grease on the bottom side to keep it from sticking/making it easer to use.  I'm not sure how long the extension will be, but I can get at least 6'.  Many boat ramps are primarily for power boats, and they don't need much water to launch.  Additionally, with the tongue extended, I will avoid getting tow vehicle wheels in the water and/or slippery concrete ramps.  We tow our CP16 with a Subaru Forester so the all wheel drive makes launching and retrieving easy.  We had this same setup on a Montgomery 17 trailer, works well. 
Some may feel 6' is too long, but if you need more than 3' you've got it.  I really like floating the boat on and off the trailer, less work, easier on the keel and trailer rollers.  Hope this all helps others thinking the same thing.