a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

PETT (wag bag) toilet

Started by hoddinr, February 03, 2015, 07:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

Pardon if this has already been covered in another thread, but I have looked and didn't see this particular question answered....

I used the Wag Bag system with a 5 gallon bucket on our last cruise to the 10,000 Islands ( see http://ftp.ij.net/wctss/wctss/photos125.html ).

I really couldn't find a good place to put the orange 5 gallon bucket when not in use, though. 

Thinking about the PETT toilet that folds up.. I'm sure it would fit out in the cockpit locker - folded up and stowed. 
But will it fit on the floor in the cabin (SunCat) when set up?  Can't find the width of the back legs set up anywhere.

Anyone use this set up?

Thanks,
Ron

atrometer

There are also 3 Gal buckets (Home Depot/Lowes)

hoddinr

Yes Gus, But they're a bit low to work properly with the Wag Bags.

Ron

csugg

Ron,

I use one on my 23. it fits nicely between the v-berths. It's late, dark, and cold here now but I have it in my car and will measure it tomorrow.

Chesley

capt_nemo

hoddinr,

Used the Wag Bags with a regular square plastic bucket (approx. 3 gal) with home made wooden seat without problem. Not the most comfortable accommodation, but for the short time in use it works well enough.

Stored "used" Bags inside a large garbage bag placed in a small plastic garbage can that fit nicely down inside a cockpit locker out of the way.

capt_nemo

wes

Ordered mine from REI and it fits perfectly (fully assembled, not folded) under the folding companionway "privacy panel" on my 19, where the chemical potty used to go. Oh, happiness to be rid of the nasty sloshing chemicals and the job of dumping and cleaning.

A word to the wise: your wife or girlfriend will like this seat a LOT more than the fve gallon bucket.

http://www.rei.com/product/662980/cleanwaste-pett-portable-environmental-toilet

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

brackish

For your information email from Clean Waste when I was considering this:

Inbox

Attachments

Juliane Bergmann <juliane@cleanwaste.com>  

Attachments4/22/14

Hi Frank,

Thank you for your interest in our products. Please see below the exact dimensions of our portable toilet. There aren't any holes to screw the legs to the floor. I suppose you could screw through the plastic though, however, the plastic might splinter and break. I have attached a picture of what exactly the toilet legs look like on the bottom for your consideration. Please let me know if you need further information.

Folded toilet:

19 inches long and 14 inches wide and 5 inches deep

Set up toilet:

13.5 inches high, off the ground.

The seat itself is 14 inches wide and 19 inches deep/long.

However, the way the legs are angled you need to add about 2 inches to the overall width and 2 inches to the overall length/depth, since the legs extend out a bit farther to give more stability.

Best,

Juliane Bergmann

Sales Manager

CW(R) logo RGB TIF

523 Business Hub Drive

Belgrade, Mt 59714

And a picture in a 23.  As you can see I made a chock to hold the front leg in place, the back legs wedged nicely with almost no clearance to the side on a 23.  Don't remember what that dimension is exactly but think it is about 16.5" to the edge of the quarter round molding.

csugg

Just measured my opened PETT.

Distance between outside edges of back legs opened is 17.0" (side to side)
Distance between outer edges of back legs opened and front leg opened is 19 3/4". (fore and aft)

There is some flexibility in legs so you might get them is a slightly smaller space that measurements suggest.

Chesley

reedtg3

Ron-
I bought the Ozark Trails model at Wal-Mart a few weeks back but I haven't used it yet.  I used an emery board to file the plastic tabs which lock the folding legs in place down a little to make it easier to re-fold after use.  It fits, folded, into the cockpit seat lockers.  Unfolded, it fits in the cockpit footwell and in the cabin sole as well.
Tom

Rahn

We used the same "seat" as discussed on our Suncat and Horizon Cat for 2-3 week cruises. I always folded the seat and stowed it as it was used for such a short amount of time. We kept the used bag in a plastic kitty litter container and always gave it a shot of fabreeze. I just bought a Seaward 23 and will stay with the wag bags and, since there is a dedicated space for a porta-potty, I should be able to keep everything assembled.

atrometer

Some people use plastic trash bags and put in some "clumping" kitty litter - much cheaper

hoddinr

Thanks very much for all the great information!

You're a dedicated LOT!  Even going out in the cold to measure the exact size of the thing.  Impressed.

Looks like I'm going to get one for Nomad, my SunCat 17.  It seems it will fit down below when needed, and stow in the cockpit locker when folded up and not in use.
Now my orange 5 gallon bucket can be used around my backyard for something.

Ron

Bob23

We're a dedicated lot, all right. Lot of what...well- y'all can decide that.
Just one big happy family of Compac-o-nauts!

hoddinr

My PETT toilet arrived today (2 day shipping free with Amazon Prime).  It was only $59 (on sale), so I couldn't put it off.
Seems really well built, and I'm pretty sure it will work in the cabin, and stow in the cockpit. 

It opens up really well, but the tabs on one back leg are really hard to close, so it may get a little filing down. 

Thanks for everyone's contributions!

Ron

hoddinr

Set up the PETT toilet in the cabin of NOMAD yesterday.  It's a BIG toilet, and takes up plenty of space on the cabin floor, but facing forward there is room for the back legs to open up in locked position.  For some reason I thought I would prefer facing aft, toward the hatch, but now that I've tried it, I guess it doesn't matter. 

It does stow in the cockpit locker, when folded up,  and takes up less space, and is less unsightly, on one of the bunks than a 5 gallon bucket. 

Ron