Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ease of Rigging

Started by Brent65, January 29, 2015, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent65

Fellow Eclipse sailors:

One of the big positives of the Eclipse is the apparent ease of rigging this sailboat.  It appears that the entire rigging process could be accomplished in 15 minutes or so.  From those of you who own the boat, do you:

1-raise the mast without a mast raising system or with one (single handed)?
2-love the roller head sail (even if you were trailering each and every outing)?
3-use a hank on jib for easier and lighter mast stepping?
4-really rig in 15 minutes? (love to see a video posted to youtube of the entire launching/rigging process) 

Thanks,
Brent

alsantini

Hi Brent.  Not sure if I am the best sailor to answer your question since I just purchased my 2007 Eclipse in April, but....  Off The Wind is currently in the storage yard in our RV park in Florida.  It has the boom with sail and cover on, side shrouds connected, genoa on the furler bunged to the mast but not connected to the top of the mast.  The rudder is in the vehicle but the rudder cheek plates and tiller are on the boat.  It will take me 35 minutes to be in the water if I am alone.  With one person on the ground, I am in the water in 20 minutes.  I trailer with the genoa furler tang, at the top of the mast, disconnected from the mast as this allows me to pull the furler aft on the mast until the furler drum is just at the front (the base) of the mast.  When I arrive at the ramp I un bungee the furler, turn the tank 90 degrees and it pops into the mast.  My mast raising assembly (boom vang) rides connected to the bow with the other end connected to the mast stub.  This just makes it ready.  I always use the pulley and J pole when I step the mast.  Those that are younger or in better shape probably just raise it by themselves.
When I pulled the boat down here from Illinois, I stripped off sails covers, bimini, etc.  I even took off the side shrouds and the anchor.  The only stuff topside was the boom and mast.   It traveled extremely well.  It took me a while to reset everything for sailing but it was worth it.  The outboard sat in my vehicle for the 1300 mile trek down but now sits on the stern.  I know some of the Eclipse owners leave the outboard on permanently.  I was concerned about theft during the 2 nights on the road.  Hope I answered your question.  By the way it is an exceptional sailing vessel.  Any other questions - yell

Vectordirector

Al is faster than I am.  I averaged about 45 minutes from the time I pulled into the ramp until I left the dock.  But I've only done it maybe 6 times.  The majority of my time was getting the mast up and down.  I had a real hard time getting the pins to line up at the hinge.  Sometimes took me 10 minutes to get them in.  Solo.  It is easy to do the rest, just takes time.  I tend to be slow and methodical, double checking everything, so I don't forget anything.  I always used the mast raising system with the vang and the gin pole.  I love the furler, very convenient on the water.  Wouldn't sail without it. 

Most of the time it was on the hard mast up.  That was 5 minutes to hook it up, drag it to the ramp, remove the sail cover and hatch boards, and launch.  Another 5 minutes to drag the trailer back to the lot, walk back to the ramp, and set off.    Now, with it on the lift, it takes longer to get it on and off the lift than to get it ready to go.  Love it!  

Once you get a system that works for you, I would think 20 minutes max, solo, to rig it.  Practice, Practice, Practice.  I'm faster now than the first time, for sure. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold