Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Picture links of my new CP19 paintjob

Started by mikeg, July 23, 2006, 09:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeg

Hi guys,

I'm HOPING that these links I'm posting actually work -- I think I've successfully downloaded a few photos of our 19 painting project. Enjoy!

Here's the original brown lettering, stick-on. This pic also shows the original brown stripe and gold accent stripe, about to be removed. Waterline brown stripe has already been removed.

This shot shows the extensive masking we had to do. It paid off, because there was no spray bleedover or anything like that. We started the painting project on Saturday around noon and didn't finish until 8pm Sunday. The usual Florida rainstorms were dancing all around our neighborhood- within a few miles- but we didn't get a drop. Serendipity, BABY!

Here's a late-stage shot of the new lettering--- painted-on while the original brown lettering was decalled on. We stripped the old decaling off, acetone and dewaxed the area, masked it and then painted.

Now here's the total, finished product! A wide shot on the starboard side!

Mike G.
s/v Freebird

crbakdesign

Hi Mike,

Nice paint job!

I've added image tags to your message to let folks see them when they go to your post without having to click.  I'm still waiting to hear if we should continue with the owner postings for the time being. Should know something shortly.

mgoller

Mike,
Thanks for the post.  That is one fine looking sailboat.  I like the color and where you put the name.  When members share their questions, work, and results it makes this website a very rich resource.  So, what's next?

mikeg

Thanks CRBak and Marcus,

I have to agree that the posting system on this site-- enabling us to share our projects with one another-- is a great thing.

Next on the hit parade for Freebird is a mount (on existing interior teak mounting board) of new barometer and humiture (or maybe something more common than humiture?!) gauge on the aft wall of the cabin.

Also hoping to eventually cut out access holes below the forward section of the quarter berths--- lil more stowage space?

Also need to fix my 6hp Merc (the one that has the carb. float problem).

My wife also wants to re-do the original 1987 interior cushions. We were hoping to find a burgundy/tan/burgundy alternating stripes fabric like the tan and blue stripe fabric you used in your CP19, Marcus. Do you recall where you found your fabrics? We're on the hunt for something that would "go with" the exterior paint job.

Also I want to get Bottomsider cushions for the cockpit. Marcus, did I notice that you have these in one of your boats? Are they a good buy?

I'm sure there are many, many more things that I'll be fitting to Freebird to make her even more ours...but that's it for now! Happy sailing, all.

Mike G.
Alachua, FL

mgoller

Mike,
Go to a good upholstery shop and ask to see the Sunbrella fabrics.  they will have something for you to match.  That is the best fabric.  My cushions have vinyl bottoms to resist mildew and water etc...You can drop mustard on that fabric and it will wash off.  it is very cool in the summer, warm in the fall and is water resistant.  water just beads.
The bottom siders were not a good buy.  $600 for the 4 cushions.  I just wanted them.  They are nice but pricey.
Hull liner material is from Gary's Upholstery.

mikeg

Awesome, Marcus.
Yeah the original 1987 cushions in our cabin have that vinyl backing you're talking about. I'll be sure we install that on the new cushions.  Any idea where I'd get foam to fill the new cushioins...?  We're thinking we'll use the old cushions as a template for the new ones, obviously, but we'll probably go all new...since my wife has mildew and just general allergies. Probably shouldn't reuse old foam???
Mike

mgoller

Mike,
Most fabric stores carry foam in different thicknesses.  The bevel cut on the side next to the hull is important and should be closely matched.  It is a pretty dense foam you're looking for since you may be sleeping on it.  A good upholsterer can help.
If you're doing this yourself the foam is usually wrapped in a very light rubberry plastic film to act as a moisture barrier.  I don't know where you get that stuff.
I forgot to say earlier that I had made a mistake going vinyl on the quarterberths.  My upholsterer warned me that it would be hot and sticky in the summer and I should go with Sunbrella everywhere.  I wanted this mix of leather and fabric I had seen in a boating magazine.  Someday I will redo the quarter berths in a Tan Sunbrella.

Paul

Mike:
Congrats on the nice paint job!

Check out Sailrite.com, too.  They carry a wide variety of fabrics.

B.Hart

mike,     The boat looks great! Theres nothing like a personal touch to make something your own. Keep up the good work and HAPPY SAILING

sawyer

Mike,    Paint Job looks great, watching you for ideas..  About cushions, Sailrite has a great catalog with lots of info and ideas, and tells a great deal about fabrics, foams, etc.  They are phone helpful and prompt... We bought the big blue sewing machine to make sails, cushions, etc.  Not advertising, we were just happy with service....                     Doug