a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Transom Question

Started by Brent65, January 27, 2015, 01:27:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

My only comparison is having sailed a Precision 21 for 13 years.  Since both boats are similar size perhaps the comparison is OK.  When the wind pipes up, at this point I would rather be in the Eclipse.  It is very balanced and handles the wind exceptionally well.  To date, I have rounded up once and it was my fault for not seeing a very large gust heading directly for me.  But the boat heeled a bit more and started to round up but at no point did water engulf the cockpit and what little flowed it flowed out just as fast.  I had one reef in and 1/3 genoa rolled up (pretty much jib size).  Winds were steady 16+ and gusts were over 20 on a 19,000 acre Lake.  I sailed for 2+ hours and when my wife asked me how it was, I just smiled.  The Eclipse is an extremely capable boat - and not just because I own one.  It sails better, is more stable and handles way more than the skipper can probably handle.  I have owned 7 boats over the years and none of them performed as well as the Eclipse.  This winter she can be seen sailing on the Gulf of Mexico in 3 foot waves and 15 mph winds just about any day with full sails up, and a smiling bald guy at the helm (who usually has dry feet).  If I am by myself I wear my inflatable vest and clip my harness in for added security.  This is my only concession to the lack of a transom.  As balanced as the boat is, I figure, should I fall off, Off The Wind will continue sailing straight and there will be no way I can catch her.  I consider myself very open minded and still would like to hear Skips reasoning.  I am always willing to listen to someone else opinion.