a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Florida Trip - Advice Needed

Started by Sedona Don, January 22, 2015, 03:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedona Don

I know that Florida has a significant concentration of Com-Pac owners who can perhaps offer me some advice.   My boat (CP23d) spends it's time in Arizona and San Diego.   Although  Florida is not a realistic destination for the boat this year, I would like to reconnect with Florida this winter with a view toward perhaps spending more time there in the future.   Any suggestions regarding a good coastal short vacation destination with the possibility of sailboat rental (optional)?  I have spent time in Miami Beach,  Tampa, Marco Island, Captiva and Sanibel but not for many years.   Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Don Schaefer
CP23d - "Luna"
don@screaz.com
ComPac 23D - Luna

crazycarl

you'd have to research it, but there are several places in the keys that rent homes with 22' sailboats.

CC
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

JBC

To follow up crazy Carl's suggestion, check out Key Lime Sailing Club in Key Largo for one option.

Jett

capt_nemo

Nestled between Ft. Myers and Sarasota (two larger cities) is Charlotte Harbor with approximately 100 square miles of semi-sheltered water great for sailing.

The Towns that surround the Harbor are Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Englewood, and Bokelia on Pine Island.

Check it out - several of us on CPYOA claim the area as "home".

capt_nemo

Dave

Don't know much about sailboat rentals, but do know the west coast.  Depends on what you're looking for.  Sarasota, my home, has great beaches, restaurants, theater, music, etc, but does have very much of a "city" vibe.  Boca Grande has lovely beaches and a quiet feel.  The Gaspariila Inn is wonderful.  I find Boca too quiet and my limit is three days.  Captiva is also quiet and very nice, but to me, not as charming as Boca.  The Charlotte harbor area has great sailing but not much in the way of beaches.  Venice has very nice beaches and a small town feel.  I'm not a fan of Naples, good for golf, but not great water access.  I think there is good fishing throughout.  Boca Grande Pass is the tarpon spot.

Happy to provide more opinions.  The SunCoast is a fantastic area to live or to visit.

dhgmco

Hi Don -
I keep my Com-Pac 23 in Palm Harbor, between Clearwater and Tarpon Springs. Been sailing the west coast of Florida for 15 years.
I can give you lots of intel on the area, all the way to the Keys, where they have a cottage rental that gives you free use of a Com-Pac 23 when you book a week. I went high school at Saguaro and lived in Paradise Valley during those years.

If you want to discuss or are still interested contact me at dhgmco at yahoo.

Happy sailing,

Don G.