News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone out there with an outboard on their Horizon?

Started by rbh1515, January 22, 2015, 11:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

I'll be getting my Horizon Day Cat this spring, and have decided to go with the Torqeedo 1003 electric outboard.
There is only one possible issue and that is the size of the prop.  The rep at Torqeedo said that for some sailboats, the rudder may overlap with the prop when you lock the outboard in the straight forward position and steer with the rudder when motoring.  I would be using the remote throttle on the outboard, so I would definitely lock the motor in the forward position.  Does any one with a Horizon equipped with an outboard know how far away the prop is from the rudder when the rudder is turned toward the outboard, and what diameter prop do you have?
Thanks!
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

rbh1515

This may be a better way to ask the question:  the prop diameter on the Torqeedo, is 11.5".  If you put that size prop on you gas outboard, would it hit the rudder when the rudder was turned hard over?
Rob

BruceW

You could put one of these on:

http://www.powerthruster.com/

I used to have one when I had my Sun Cat; it did give more thrust at slow rpms, like when I was docking. Also protected my idasailor rudder. I'm thinking of getting one for my new Tohotsu motor. Works great!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

rbh1515

You could not attach one to a Torqeedo.
Rob

rbh1515

How about this....if you have a regular gas outboard, how close does the prop come to the rudder when the rudder is turned hard over?  If it is 4" or more away, I should be ok.
Rob

BruceW

Why not? no ledge to bolt it on? Oh well, I have to say, that's a shame, but you will probably come up with a solution that does work for torquedo. Best of luck!
Bruce Woods

rbh1515

See pics below.  The Torqeedo is a bit different than conventional outboards.  You don't have the anti-cavitation plate.  Also, the prop is lower in the water, and the proper is bigger:  11.5" vs 7-8".
One feature that will be great is the remote throttle...you remove the tiller/throttle and plug in the remote throttle.  No reaching back and down to change gears etc.  Also, it will be easier to tilt the motor up without the tiller/throttle.
I had talked with Torqeedo the other day, and they just said to make sure the prop would not be too close to the rudder when it is turned hard over.
Rob

BruceW

Got it; I have thought about torqueedo in the past; never quite got around to doing it.

I'll be interested in your solution. I know I kept my power thruster, but then I moved, and now I can't find it. I have the Ruddercraft rudder and I certainly don't want to gouge it with my motor.

I had not realized the lack of ledge for bolting; I got as far as seeing they had a size for large prop.

Maybe your motor mount is or can be further from the centerline to help make sure you don't hit the two together. What about some kind of jig sort of thing that keeps you from turning either too far? A line on the rudder, for example.
Bruce Woods

rbh1515

At this point I don't know if there will be a problem.  I had not even thought about this potential problem until the Torqeedo rep brought it up.  She said that on some sailboats its a problem.

relamb

I've  seen at least one outboard on a sailboat where the owner had taken a short length of large diameter pvc pipe and put it around the prop as a guard.
It was a slice of the pipe maybe 3-4" long, with the pipe being 8" diameter.  It was a gas outboard, so he probably fastened it to the anticavitation plate.
Perhaps you could use a longer piece of pipe, maybe 6". cut a U shaped notch in the front to go around the outboard shaft/leg, and epoxy it to the motor.
You could probably get a scrap piece from a construction site.
No idea what that would do to the performance of the motor.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

rbh1515

I really don't think I will be putting any type of cover over the prop.  Not sure what that would do to performance etc.
Rob

BruceW

I'm sure this horse is dead, but the original powerthruster was great for performance. That was its main benefit! I just also noticed I didn't gouge the rudder anymore.
Bruce Woods

Craig

If anything the Powerthruster should improve thrust much like an aircraft ducted fan does.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

So...there have been problems with gouging the rudder with the outboard prop?

Again, no way to attach anything to the Torqeedo.

BruceW

I did it with my Suncat; don't know about the Horizon. I just thought my accidental solution might work. I'm sorry it took away from your thread.
Bruce Woods