a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Today Was The Day!!

Started by Lazar, January 14, 2015, 10:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazar

Clearwater at the Com-Pac facility picking up our new HC. Boy, is it nice. Hopped right on I-4 and towed it ninety plus miles. The trailer...and small tires...performed flawlessly. Stopped a couple of time to check the hub temperature...barely warm. Towed like a dream. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive about the trailer due to a few negative posts about its performance. I found nothing to complain about...it was smooth as silk.

I like this boat. We'll get her wet tomorrow..I think.

BobK

Bob23

Congrats on your new baby. Any names yet?
Bob23

rbh1515

Looks great! Is that the stock trailer...and I presume those are the PVC guides that are sticking up?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Craig

Looks great, Larry! Betty Ann and I are happy for you both. Glad we were able to help in some small way in your quest! Keep us posted on your adventures. Hope to sail with you sometime on Charlotte Harbor.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Lazar

Quote from: Bob23 on January 15, 2015, 04:40:55 AM
Congrats on your new baby. Any names yet?
Bob23

Yep, we're gonna name her after my wife's mother, a wonderful German woman, "Olgareda".

Lazar

Quote from: rbh1515 on January 15, 2015, 07:37:09 AM
Looks great! Is that the stock trailer...and I presume those are the PVC guides that are sticking up?
Rob

Yeah, that's the standard trailer, the only option being the PVC guides. This is not my first MagicTilt trailer...I've had several...one carrying a boat heavier than this one and they've all worked great. The small diameter tires are not a handicap...actually they're an asset. They're rated for over 1600 lb. per tire. Increased rpm above the rpm of my 18 inch truck wheels is also a non issue - so says MagicTilt and everyone else I've talked to in the trailering and bearing business. The weak link is not the bearing, it's bearing maintenance. I know for a fact that Hutchins Com-Pac has towed these trailers all over the country and have never had an incident related to wheel size. Increasing the wheel size does nothing other than adding distance to your trip down the landing ramp. My truck wheels in salt water is not what I want.

I am going to have them spin balanced just to say I've done it.

Lazar

Quote from: Craig on January 15, 2015, 08:20:33 AM
Looks great, Larry! Betty Ann and I are happy for you both. Glad we were able to help in some small way in your quest! Keep us posted on your adventures. Hope to sail with you sometime on Charlotte Harbor.

Yes sir, actually you and Betty Ann were far more than "small" in our decision to purchase a Horizon Cat...you actually cinched the deal for Hutchins. Thank you again....and I still 'owe' you guys dinner. I will pay-up soon..

relamb

The only caveat with the small tires, is that they are sometimes hard to find on short notice.  They have higher weight rating than most normally stocked tires in that diameter.  Not once, but twice I've run over something (like an entire windshield wiper arm) that punctured the first tire and then flipped up and punctured the second.  Always on a weekend when the good tire stores were closed.  So now I always carry two spares for any double axle trailers if I'm going on a long trip.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

MacGyver

Beautiful boat!
I am now pondering that trailer for our 19, if I ever get enough money, I would really like to go 2 axles. I think the 19 and the HC are close in weights and such......hmmmm.....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.