a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Solar panel defect warning

Started by SMITH, January 14, 2015, 04:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMITH

Bought a Nature Power semi-flexible solar module from WEST Marine and installed it on my Sun Cat.  Installation was easy enough.  To prevent penetrating the coachroof core I just glued it down by applying 4 gobs of 3M 5200 through what I thought were brass grommets.  Turns out those brass grommets were not brass grommets, but brass plated steel.  Four months later all four brass plated steel grommets are rusting.  The vessel has been sitting on the hard since I bought her.  Being an inland yacht she has not been exposed to sea water.  Before the vessel makes it to the water, the cabin roof will be rust stained.  This Nature Power solar panel isn't even weather proof, much less marine grade.  Take a magnet along when shopping for solar panels.

Bob23

Sorry to hear that. Classic Worst Marine quality control.
B23

HeaveToo

Not good.  5200 is the devil's glue and it is nearly impossible to remove.

I am going to do  flexible solar panel, different brand, and for the first year or so of installation I am going to use the grommets to tie it into place.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Lazar

Quote from: HeaveToo on January 14, 2015, 07:23:19 PM
Not good.  5200 is the devil's glue and it is nearly impossible to remove.

I am going to do  flexible solar panel, different brand, and for the first year or so of installation I am going to use the grommets to tie it into place.

A product called "Un-Hesive" will remove 5200 painlessly.

SMITH

Nature Power responded to the email I sent them with an offer to replace the panel.  That however does not remedy the hours I will spend removing and replacing with new.  On top of that is the simple matter of confidence.  In their letter, they admitted knowing they used brass plated steel grommets.  Having been down that road with panel #1, I have no confidence panel #2 will be any different. 

As we all know mixing metals in the marine environment is bad.  Brass, an alloy of mostly zinc and copper is a temporary metal at best.  Through what metallurgists call replacement corrosion, in an electrolyte (seawater splashed on a cabin roof for example) the zinc leaches out of the brass leaving behind a brittle, porous copper alloy.  I figured, having brass grommets I could avoid that problem using 3M 5200 caulk.  While not as strong as other marine glues (WEST System, Plexus and the like), I knew it would be a non-conductive fastening, easy to use, and would not be a root cause of corrosion.  My profession is marine forensic analysis.  I have investigated sinkings caused by replacement corrosion so I tend to be sensitive to the downsides of those things.  Once put into use, like the four month old panel, I doubt that zinc/copper and steel mix in the new grommets will put up much of a fight against seawater.  That first panel failed just from rainwater exposure while in my yard, in under four months.  Furthermore, one reason I glued the panel in place as opposed to mechanically fastening it in place had to do with wanting to avoid a galvanic reaction.  SST self-tapping screws, the fastener of choice for such an installation, are 18-8 grade stainless steel.  Adding 18-8 grade SST to the zinc/copper/steel metal mix of the grommets would have only speeded up the grommet loss to corrosion.  A much better choice on their part would have been to use readily available stainless steel grommets, self centering SST fender washers, or polypropylene, polyethylene grommets, or the like.  Somewhere I am certain is a bean counter who went to bed one night happy he saved the boss half a penny a piece on those grommets.  Now I must deal with and pay the price of the end result.  I would appreciate input regarding suitable replacement solar panels.  If shopping for same, take along a magnet.  I would prefer my new unit be OK if put outside.  Thanks for the kind words.
SMITH

HeaveToo

If you have the money, Solbian is the best.  Another guy has been using Velcro to attach them to Biminis and other locations like that.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

BruceW

Such a PITA. My panel is fine, and has little feet under it to keep it off the fiberglass. Bought from Defender. It's a Ganz, and I tie it to my seat locker. It hasn't moved at all though. I fed the power cord under the locker to the battery; have a loose line so when I'm underway, I just put the whole panel into the locker for safekeeping.

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|328|2290044|2290049&id=1802131
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23