a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cruising Questions

Started by FlyingTulip, January 11, 2015, 02:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlyingTulip

Hello All:  We recently sold our Endeavour35.  We're imagining an Eclipse as our future cruising machine. We're still in the early stages of planning and intend to hit a couple boat shows to consider staying with the marina life. I think we're really interested in something different.

Our plan for the Eclipse: 75% - daysailing on lake Pontchartrain and St. Andrews/Panama City; 20% - cruise/gunkhole on Gulf Coast ICW; 5% - Bimini, maybe? We've bareboated many times to Bimini. The boat is small, but we think having our own boat/schedule and not being on charter company's time, we'd pick better weather windows and not take so much abuse. Eclipse jumps to the top of our list because of the build of the boat and the diesel option.

A couple questions related to cruising:  1) Has anyone converted to a permanent head, can you imagine the space to do it? We were at the factory and unfortunately just missed seeing an Eclipse.  The guys seemed to think it was too much modification to be worthwhile;  2) Has anyone added any grounding or lightning protection? Our gulf coast summers occasionally include lightning, our previous boats all had something.

- Tom

Ferd Johns

Tom

Congrats. I just picked up a new-to-me Eclipse, and think it is a fabulous boat. If you are willing to agree with old man Herreshoff that everything worth doing in the cabin of a boat can be done sitting or lying down, then it is a solid, if very compact trailerable cruiser. Have you tried one of the high capacity Thetford battery-flush porta-pots? I have used one for years. I have had several marine heads in over 50 plus years of boating, including the (manual) marine head/holding tank/mascerator pump system beautifully installed on my Rosborough 246, and I definitely prefer the Thetford! Why don't I like the "real" marine head? Manual head pumping noise (especially at night when your partner is sleeping .... or trying to), occasional odor emanations on the dock when flushing, hassle of maintenance, a lot of weight in a small boat, and one more thru-hull to worry about. You do have to  either pump or dump the Thetford MSD, but with the big one used by two people, only after several days, and dumping is really easy with their superior rotating spout system (even for a 73 year old). I've never splattered myself with a Thetford (although I cannot say that about other brands). Sorry for the grossness of that last bit, but it is a major complaint about port-a-pots. KISS sure works best for me, but I realize we all want different things.

No idea about lightning protection. Seems a great debate as to whether there is really any point in trying, as few systems seem to work. Lots of info and opinion, no apparent consensus.

Congrats again,

Ferd

frank

Now that's bringing in a new year right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great shot!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

TedStrat

Flying Tulip,

I can't answer the porta potty or lightning protection but I just wanted to tell you that the Eclipse with the diesel is a fantastic boat. The boat is well balanced, stable and is just an amazing sailboat. To turn a key and push the button to get going whether off the dock or when dropping sails in a great convenience and adds to safety. Definitely a nice option for what you described your needs to be. 
Good luck and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

-Ted
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

FlyingTulip

Good advice and good to know . . . I have to admit there is some appeal to not rebuilding the head every year or two!  And I know the diesel is weight, but what a great place to put it.  I'm glad you've had a good experience.

Any other advice for extending cruising? Would anyone recommend their 12v Cooler?

frank

"Engel" coolers!!  Super low draw...super dependable....sadly....super expensive...but worth it. When your away in the out islands, most cruisers use them for those reasons.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men