a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Transom Boarding Ladder Pads

Started by reedtg3, January 05, 2015, 01:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reedtg3

This arrangement isn't up to the standard set by Jack on Suncat "About Time," but it may be a reasonable short term solution for those who go ashore barefooted.  I used 1/2" i.d. foam pipe insulation fastened with plastic tape.  The pvc tube, vented at the bottom, holds two propane canisters.

rbh1515

Here is an idea that I think would look great.  There is a company that puts a nice covering on stainless wheels:
http://www.colorwheelz.com/
They essentially dip the wheel in a vinyl material.  I met the guy at a boat show, and originally his company put the coverings on metal playground equipment.  He is a sailor and one day thought he would try it on the wheel of his sailboat.  I had the wheel on my last sailboat covered, and loved it.  It has a nice texture to it, and you can pick your color.  When they dip it, the whole thing gets covered, but then they remove the covering from any areas you don't want covered, like the spokes of the wheel.  i bet they could do your transom ladder, and just do the horizontal areas.  I think it would look sharp, and it would be extremely durable.  To have your wheel done, they have directions on how to box it up and send it in, and you get it back extremely fast.  I don't think my wheel was gone much more than 10 days.  Here is a pic of my wheel on my old boat.
Rob

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

BobK

Try wrapping the pipe foam with Sunbrella that is the same color as your sail cover.  Sew velcro on the seams to keep it closed.  This worked for the 4 yrs I has my 23.
BobK