a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Lowering the mast with a boomkicker

Started by rbh1515, December 30, 2014, 11:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh1515

I have ordered a Horizon Day Cat, and many people recommended getting a boomkicker, which I went ahead and ordered.
Is there any issue with lowering the mast with the Mastendr system if you have a boomkicker?  Doesn't the boom have to slide down at the mast before you lower the mast?  Or is there no issue?
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

capt_nemo

rbh1515,

As long as the boom is below the hinge, a "normal " position with halyards free when lowering the sail and gaff, there should be no problem.

Craig, local friend, owner of a Horizon Cat, and CPYOA Forum contributor, has a Boomkicker and has not reported any issues with it.

capt_nemo

rbh1515

See pic

It looks to me that with the boomkicker The "resting position" is well above the hinge...and without disengaging the boomkicker not sure you could get it below the hinge.
Rob

Craig

I just pull the pin on the boom fitting and let the slide slip out of the track. The support rods lie flat on the cabin while still attached to the mast. My installation has the mast fitting about 10-12 inches above the deck and the boom fitting a little further aft on the boom than in the above pic to compensate for the higher mast mounting. When the mast is up raise the boom,slide the boom fitting into the track, replace the pin and you are done. Adds a few minutes to the setup but no big deal.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

rbh1515

Craig

Here is a pic of Kailani. You can see location of mast and boom fittings. 

rbh1515

Yours is in a different position than others.  If this works well that's how I will place mine.  The HDC has a vent up front on the cabin top instead of a hatch.  I was concerned that with the usual placement that the boomkicker would bump into vent.
Rob

hoddinr

My boom kicker (SunCat) needed an additional rail mounted behind the one that came with it in order to lower the boom below the hinge. 
Just pull the pin, let it slide back past the 1st rail onto the second rail to the next to the last position.  Put pin back in.

Ron

Tom L.

Ron, How do you get the pre-bend in the boomkicker when you put the mast up. Is it as simple as just raising the boom out of the gallows and repining the boom slide. Does it take two people one to raise the boom one to pin.

Does your boomkicker hold the boom up high enough to clear the gallows? Finally do you find it necessary to have a boom vang especially if you are off the wind.

I have a topping lift and really don't like it because it always seems to get in the way of the gaff.

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

hoddinr

I just found your post, Tom, regarding the boom kicker.

I pin the boom kicker in place after raising the sail. 

I'll get back to you on this.  I'm no expert on boom kickers.

Ron

Craig

Tom's idea of adding an additional section of Boomkicker is excellent! I am going to order one to install on Kailani. On my installation I can use the boom gooseneck downhaul to adjust the height of the boom above the gallows. As to the use of a vang, I do not use one since it is one more complication I don't really need. That being said the Boomkicker does not replace a vang. What it does do, in addition to holding up the boom, is stabilize the boom in light air, reducing "slatting". I am also  looking for a better clevis pin for the Boomkicker track  that does not require a circular retainer ring (which can be a PITA at times).

Tim Gardner

go to www.crealock.com to check out this locking pin:

I think it's cool albeit expensive
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.