Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

new SunCat owner in NH

Started by kevnh, December 18, 2014, 09:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevnh

Hi there,
I'm the proud new owner of a 2002 Sun Cat, Hull #111.
I've read almost all of the posts on this forum and look forward to learning more and contributing.
The boat needs a little love so I'll probably update as I work on a few projects.
And of course I'm looking forward to sailing her, once the water turns liquid again,
-Kev
SunCat Hull #111 (2002)
"ISA"

Mike Howell

Welcome Kev,

I've had my 2002 SunCat for a year now, Congrats on your new boat.

Mike Howell
St Marys GA

Eric in Seattle

Welcome to the forum, Kev; its a great source of information and prepared me for the purchase of 2008 Sun Cat Daysailer last year.  I had the boat shipped from New Jersey to my home in Seattle and it arrived around this time last year.  It also needed a little love so I spent the winter working on it in my garage.  Of course we can sail year round in Seattle but I waited until the boat was perfect and the weather turned nice before taking it out for the first time.  Looking forward to seeing updates on your projects.

Eric  

jthatcher

Hi Kev,
    congrats on the boat..   where will you be sailing?   I used  to live in wolfeboro - spent lots of time on winnipesaukee..  mostly in powerboats, but  i had a friend with a person 28, and we would sail out of wolfeboro..     also had a colleague there who bought a compac 27 - also in wolfeboro, and that is what led me to decide  on the compac 23 that we now have..    looking forward to hearing stories about your adventures..       In my younger days  we enjoyed one year when we water skied in wolfeboro bay on nov. 1st..  the ski mountains had already opened..  and we greeted the next year by water skiing on Easter Sunday..  had to dodge the ice  ( wet suits were a necessity at that point)  ..   not too keen on that idea any more :)   jt   

kevnh

Thanks for the welcome guys,
Last two years we had a Venture Newport 23 that we sailed on Winnipesaukee out of Gilford.
It was great sailing on the windy days (torture on the "power boat days") but a bit of a haul from home; and that boat takes a good two hours to rig.
With the easier trailering of the SunCat I'm looking forward to sailing more at Sunapee, Newfound, and also Winnepesaukee from time to time.
We also take vacation every year at Harpswell ME so I'll be sailing there for a few weeks every summer,
-Kevin
SunCat Hull #111 (2002)
"ISA"

jthatcher

sounds like you have a great plan..     know what you mean about the powerboats on the big lake..   what a difference between weekday evenings and  the weekends!    our plan was that we  put tuesday evening aside as a boating experience.   if it was windy, we sailed.. if not,  we motored..   but,   we made it a point to get on the water either way.. 

Newfound is a great spot..     a lot quieter..  also a great spot to ride bikes  on weekdays..   the trip around the lake is  great.. but  the road is a bit narrow.. we would not want to do that on a summer weekend!   we still get up that  way - my x wife lives in hebron.. just around the corner from newfound,  and we help out with projects at her house from time to time  .. nice area. 

and Harpswell maine..   gotta love that!       can't wait to see pics  from your adventures..   jt

patfurr

Hi Kev.  Pat Furr here over in Laconia.  I hope you are still in the Gilford area and if so, I would love to get together with you for some sailing.  I just put my 2011 Sun Cat up for the winter after a last sail on Winnisquam the day after Thanksgiving.  I love how easily she trailers, sets up, and especially how stable and roomy she is under sail.  Hope to meet you someday.
Impulse III

nicktulloh

Hey guys,

I just sold my CP19 and bought a 2013 SunCat. Only time on the water so far was motoring it down the mighty Hudson to get it hauled.

I have a mooring on Little Bay so we're usually there and Great Bay.

One of my sisters has a lake house on Winnie so maybe we could get all three in at the same time next year.

Take care,

Nick Tulloh
Durham

kevnh

Hi Pat, nice to meet you; great to have another SunCat here in NH.  I live in Hanover so mostly this year I sailed at Mascoma, also a bit at Sunapee and Newfound.
Good on you for sailing all the way up to Thanksgiving!  It's been a great fall for it.  There is another SunCat sailor here on the board who sails at Mascoma so maybe we could have a NH rendezvous!
-Kevin
SunCat Hull #111 (2002)
"ISA"

kevnh

Nick, congrats on your new SunCat!  That makes 4 in NH (that I know of)
They are great little boats you will enjoy yours
SunCat Hull #111 (2002)
"ISA"

nicktulloh

Quote from: kevnh on December 04, 2015, 09:59:14 PM
Nick, congrats on your new SunCat!  That makes 4 in NH (that I know of)
They are great little boats you will enjoy yours

Kevin,

I graduated from Hanover HS in 1972. My Dad was a radiotherapist at the Hitchcock when it was still in town.

Small world,

Nick

patfurr

Nick,
I graduated Burlington High in Vermont in '73.  I remember traveling to the Dartmouth ski Jump my freshman year for an Easterns Ski meet.  What a trip!  I was more intimidated climbing up the frozen over treads than actually pushing off from the top of the in-run.  Do you know any of the Guest family from Hanover?  I jumped against Peter and Long, and Greg married my sister.  Let's plan on staying in touch thorough the winter and we can possibly plan a rondy on one of NH's lakes.  You in Kev?
Pat
Impulse III

Peter Dubé

I recently purchased a Sun Cat for sailing on the Indian River on the east coast of Florida. I really like the boat. Perfect for exploring the shallows around me.

I also sail summers on Sunapee. There I sail my 24 foot Trimaran. I love that boat also!. Sunapee is a wonderful lake too sail.
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

kevnh

Quote from: patfurr on December 07, 2015, 11:04:36 AM
Nick,
I graduated Burlington High in Vermont in '73.  I remember traveling to the Dartmouth ski Jump my freshman year for an Easterns Ski meet.  What a trip!  I was more intimidated climbing up the frozen over treads than actually pushing off from the top of the in-run.  Do you know any of the Guest family from Hanover?  I jumped against Peter and Long, and Greg married my sister.  Let's plan on staying in touch thorough the winter and we can possibly plan a rondy on one of NH's lakes.  You in Kev?
Pat

I'm totally in.  Only 6 more months of winter!
-Kevin
SunCat Hull #111 (2002)
"ISA"

kevnh

Quote from: Peter Dubé on December 07, 2015, 06:29:05 PM
I recently purchased a Sun Cat for sailing on the Indian River on the east coast of Florida. I really like the boat. Perfect for exploring the shallows around me.

I also sail summers on Sunapee. There I sail my 24 foot Trimaran. I love that boat also!. Sunapee is a wonderful lake too sail.

Winter in FL, summer in NH - a pretty good program!
SunCat Hull #111 (2002)
"ISA"