a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Shipping a CP26 and trailer by truck

Started by Chuckie, December 14, 2014, 04:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckie

I am looking for recommendations on companies that would truck a CP26 across the country. If anyone has had some experience with this, I would appreciate hearing of your experience.

Bob23

First off, what is a CP26? Do you mean a 23, 25 or 27? There are folks around here that can answer your question.
Bob23

Chuckie

Sorry. Senior moment. A CP-25 with trailer.

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

relamb

Anyone with a flatbed trailer big enough to haul a tractor, skidsteer, backhoe, etc should be able to haul your boat and trailer on it.  An issue could be the length of the boat trailer tongue getting the weight centered on the flatbed without the tongue sticking out too far forward, or backward.  Best bet might be to load it backwards on the flatbed.
I tow my CP27 1100 miles from Indianapolis to Tampa Bay with a Chevy 3500 diesel pickup.
The boat sets in a cradle which then sets on a flatbed trailer.  I do not have a boat trailer.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

CurtTampa

Relamb - Could you post pics of your trailer set up for the 27? Specs on axles etc..?  I'm in the market for a 27 and would like the ability to have a yard/transport trailer for haul out during our hurricane season (should it ever return to the normal cycle)  and bottom maintenance. Thanks!

relamb

Here's some pictures of the compac 27 cradle and trailer.
http://midtechv.com/wp3/?easy-photo-album=compac-27-trailer
The trailer is a 2014 Load Trail with a 22' flatbed + 2' dovetail and full width removable ramp.
Load capacity is 14,000 lbs gross, two 7,000lb axles with electric brakes on both.  It can carry roughly 11,000lbs net weight.
I paid $4300 for the trailer with all the options (spare tire, mounting bracket, winch plate, tongue box, extra D rings, full width ramp).
This was a deal because it had some paint flaking off, and no paint warranty. Must have gotten some oil on it before it was painted.  A little rustoleum cured that problem.
The cradle came with the boat, I don't know if it was the shipping cradle from Compac, or made later.
I chain the cradle to the trailer with chains and load binders.
I strap up over the boat to the trailer with two 20,000lb capacity load straps.
The truck is a 1999 Chevy 3500 6.5 turbo diesel with 235,000 miles.
I get just at 9mpg when towing the boat.  On I75 in the mountains of TN, I'm down to 40mph going uphill on the worst grades.
The problem isn't the going, it's the stopping. but with new brakes on both trailer axles it's not an issue, and I'm way under the trailer capacity.
Legally, you are supposed to have a wide load permit for every state that you travel through if the load is over 8.5 feet wide, which the compac 27 is.
However, you do not need to mark a wide load that's less than 10', nor are you restricted to daylight only driving.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

jgsharpe

Chuck,

I used Showroom Transport to haul my CP23 on a flatbed trailer since my boat trailer wasn't in good enough condition to make the trip.  The only downside is that they sub-contract the work to someone local.  In my case, the trucker they chose had no experience with boats.  His trailer was in very poor condition, causing hours and hours of delays in getting it swapped out with one slightly better.  Backing my boat and trailer onto his trailer (in the rain, at night) was horrific, we had to fabricate ramps and I was sure I would miss the mark and launch my boat off the side of his trailer.  It was nerve wracking and expensive, but it made it to the destination.  Using someone who deals with sailboats would have been a better plan.

https://flic.kr/p/qoG6t7

- Jeff
'Some Day'   Com-Pac 23   1981   Hull #164
Sabine Bay Marina     Pensacola Beach, Florida

Restharrow

Try uShip.com.  I purchased a CP25 last spring and got lots of good quotes from these guys.  Ended up travelling to Wyoming and towing it back to Vermont ourselves.  Cost about the same, but we got a trip out of the deal.  NO PROBLEMS with towing it with a Ford Excursion with 7.3L Diesel.  Actually went thru Canada on the way back.

Steve
CP 25 and lovin' it.
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

TedStrat

Before I purchased, I looked into transport. Generally the quotes I got came down to about $1 per mile but it was a truck towing the boat on its trailer. To Jeff's point, the trailer has to be in good enough shape to make the trip.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Chuckie

Thanks for all the good information. I think I'll give uShip a try.

Restharrow

Which CP25 did you buy?
Are you heading East or West Across the country and where will she be sailed.
Just wondering.  Not to many CP 25 around.

Steve
CP 25
Lake Champlain and Coast of Maine
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

wes

There are many cautionary stories on the internet about Uship.com. Apparently anybody can sign up to be one of their carriers, without any proof of insurance. Don't rely on a shipper to just tell you he's insured - ask for a certificate of insurance. A cheap hauling price isn't worth it if your boat ends up in a ditch and the carrier is uninsured.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Chuckie

Steve: There is a nice 1997 CP-25 in Seattle, WA that I've been considering. There is another one near Tampa, FL, which would be way closer for me. And you're right, there aren't too many CP-25s around. I understand they only made 51 of them.

Wes: Thanks for the warning about being cautious with uShip. I'll keep that in mind. It might be best to go with a company that handles transportation directly.

relamb

i will be hauling my CP27 to Tampa within the next week, and bringing the empty flatbed trailer back to IN as soon as practical thereafter, in a month to 6 weeks.
If you get the one in tampa maybe something could be worked out for gas money!
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN