a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wanted CP-19 in New England

Started by Barry Rynk, July 13, 2006, 04:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Rynk

I'm looking for a CP-19 in the New England area. I currently live on the North Shore area of Massachusetts.  I would prefer a later model with bowsprit, but could be convinced of doing this upgrade myself if the boat is in excellent cond.  Please call or e-mail if you are considering selling.

Thanks,

Barry
978-828-7922

dusty

man, good luck!

the 19s are difficult to find.

i'd imagine doubly so on your fine new england coastline.

DanN

As I noted a couple of threads ago, Fernald's marina has one for sale.  Have you looked at that one?    It's been there for quite a while so they may be willing to go down on the price.    (They didn't budge on my CP-16, but that was a much later model.)

The marina should be right down the road from you on Rte. 1A.

Barry Rynk

Thanks Dan!  I'll take a look at this one at Fernald's this coming weekend, but I'd rather hold out for an '84 or later model.  The other issue is that I hate haggling with "used-car" dealers, and would prefer purchasing from a private owner.  I have a couple of leads on '87 models that I'm following up now.

Say, have you taken your CP-16 out from the Parker River area (or Merrimac)?  That looks like a nice place to moore a Com-Pac with Plum Island sound so close.

DanN

I've taken my CP-16 out on the Merrimac -- there's a public launch ramp on the river (costs $5.00/use or $75.00/season).     Biggest disadvantage is that the Merrimac is strongly tidal -- when the tide was going out, my 4HP Mercury was pushing the boat upriver at maybe 1 or 2 knots.     There's also a drawbridge which is not an issue for the 16's meagre mast, but might become an issue for the 19.   This doesn't give you immediate access to Plum Island Sound per se, as you'd have to sail on the exposed ocean side of Plum Island to get to the Sound itself.   Not an issue with the 19, I think, but the mouth of the Merrimac can get choppy enough to make me thoughtful with the 16.

There's sadly no public launch ramp on the Parker river -- the town of Newbury owns the ramp and only allows locals to use it.   There are mooring for rent, but I haven't investigated that too closely yet.

Winter Island in Salem is more of a pain to drive to (for me), but has the advantage that once you get the boat in the water, you can pretty much set sail and go with no puttering  down river with the motor.