a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Eclipse owner in Canada too eh!

Started by waterwheels, November 17, 2014, 06:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterwheels

Well I did it. Spent a lot of years looking for a good trailerable boat and I believe the Eclipse will meet our requirements. Drove from Ontario to New Brunswick to pick here up. Two days and 1600 kms one way.....Well at least I know it trailers well. Got her home late in the fall and tucked into the carport for the winter. It would have been nice to a least get her in the water before winter, but it was getting pretty late in the season, and I didn't have any of the required safety gear...or correct outboard to motor out of our harbour. It is going to be a long winter.

Now to get her outfitted.
Is a 20" shaft what other owners are using? What about ground tackle?
Any other Eclipse owners in Ontario....or even Canada?

Looking forward to spring.

Don

TedStrat

Congrats Don. I was in your shoes last year and yes, it was a long winter, but worth the wait. Had a great 1st season.
I am down on Long Island ny (although I just got back from a camp I have on a lake which borders NB) you will love the Eclipse - great boat. Anyway, I use about a 12 lb danforth anchor and 7' of chain. Works fine in the bay- sand bottom.  I have a small 1/4 " para cord on the chain which I keep up through the anchor locker hatch feed and around the cleat. It's out of the way if other bow lines but makes deploying the anchor a breeze. I keep it in back hatch. Others have nice setups with it resting on the bow sprit roller.  Check out the forum.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Bob23

Welcome Don:
   Yes, it will be a long winter while waiting to splash your new boat. In the meantime, you'll find many ways to get into trouble hanging around the forum here. Lots of useful information, opinions, and not so useful silliness. Or so I've heard. Feel free to contribute- it's what makes this place so unique and work so well. 
   Eagleye from NY sails an eclipse so he's a good source of what works for those boats. They certainly are great looking boats and I didn't realize what a plumb bow they have.
   Again, welcome...and stay warm!
Bob23 and "Koinoina" 1985 23/2 in southern NJ

Eagleye

Hi Don,
It was a shame that we could not get together for a sail on the Madame last summer but as it seems you did your home work and made a great choice.  Wow, I give you a lot of credit on making that trip to pick up your Eclipse but I remember I too was prepared  to make such a journey once I new that was the boat for me.  She looks great, Don!  What year is she or is she new?   I am jealous that you have a carport large enough to tuck your Eclipse away for the winter.   That is next years plans for us.
Best of luck to you and welcome aboard.

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Salty19

Welcome aboard!  Beautiful craft you have there :)
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

alsantini

Don.  All the best on your new Eclipse.  I got my 2007 this year in May.  It is a great boat, doing everything I want it to do.  I will sail her all year long, living in Elgin, Illinois most of the year and Florida during the winter.  This is a great resource for the Eclipse.  It seems most of us, and there are only 70+ Eclipses in existence, hang out here.  So welcome and enjoy.  Spring will be early, I predict (and hope....) and soon you will be on the water.       Al

waterwheels

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. My one concern with getting a new boat was leaving behind the great people in the last group, but it looks like there is a great group of Com pac owners here too. Sailors must just be awesome people.

Although the trip to pick up the boat was long, I was presently surprised how well the Eclipse trailered. I must say that both the dealer and I were concerned when I drove in with my 2010 Ford Escape, and parked it in front of the boat.
Alan, as far as the carport goes....she is in there but I didn't say it fit. It was quite a task to get a 8'6" boat into a 8' space. I had to rotate the mast yokes down, raise the trailer tongue up to start it in, then remove the carport light bulb, once half way in I had to lower the trailer tongue onto a floor jack then push it the rest of the way in. Needless to say it will not be going in there between outings, but it is sure nice to have it under cover for the winter.

First tip to offer the group. A 12'x 24' pool cover ($50) also covers the boat nicely.

The boat is new and although it has traveled 1600Km. it has not been in the water yet.

Now.......what to call her.......my last boat a CL-16 I named "Notta Yachta"

Don

Mike K

Mike K.  2015 Eclipse  Previously owned Com-Pac Legacy, Precision 21, MacGregor 21 Seaward 25

waterwheels

Was thinking I had better not let the name limit my options, was considering " Little Yachta" as a midway point. Kind of want to save room on the name....just in case I am blessed with a CP 35 someday....that would have to be " A-lota-Yachta"

Don

Derek5555

Hi Don

Where are you in Ontario? I sail a 1986 Compac 19 out of Hamilton/Burlington Bay. Hoping for a mild winter and an April 1st launch date. This is my third year with the Compac and the early start is another example of  trailer sailing benefits. Keel boaters are a few weeks after us.

Regards
Derek

waterwheels

Wow, the forum is starting to pay off. Derek I am in the Kincardine area about 3 hours (drive by car) on Lake Huron. Nice to know there are other CP owners around. I am really looking forward to an early spring, as I haven't had the boat launched yet. After a bit of snowboarding of course......
Do you ever trailer to other areas much, or stick to home waters? If you have a good launch down there maybe we could come down for a sail some time.
I have lake Huron about a ten minute drive, and when the prevailing west winds are too strong there is Georgian Bay at Wiarton on the east side of Bruce Peninsula only and hours drive.  It is a great sailing area with the long bay and escarpment on both tacks, always something to see.

The early spring launch is great and there is nothing better than a late October sail after everyone else is on the hard. Here is a picture of the Chantry Island Lighthouse at Southampton on a late October sail launched at Port Elgin.

Thanks for dropping the line....

Don

EclipseGuy

I miss my Eclipse. I never should have sold it.

You guys are making me jealous!

I have had many boats and the Eclipse was the best one of the bunch.

Don, if you have the option of buying a motor with a 25 inch shaft then definitely get that, especially if you are sailing in the Great Lakes. It is far less likely to pop out of the water in the waves than the shorter shaft motors.

- John
'Dragonfly' 2009 Com-Pac Eclipse

waterwheels

I know you are not supposed to put a screen door in a submarine but thought it would be ok in an Eclipse.

Trying to make winter go by a little quicker.....I built myself a screen for the companionway door. Thought it would store easier if it could be taken apart so it fits together with dowels.

Bob23

Don:
   Thanks for the tip...and for making my winter list one item longer!
Bob23

jthatcher

nice job!   I am sure that you will appreciate having a screen some summer...   jt