News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

need new mainsail for our 27/3, any recommendations?

Started by Tney88, November 14, 2014, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tney88

In the market for a new mainsail for our Com-Pac 27/3, anybody have any recommendations of suppliers they like (or ones to avoid)?  We would prefer US made.

Terry Ney
"Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

deisher6

Hey Terry:
I too need a new main.  Wes bought one for his '27 and allowed me to try it out and it was magnificent .  It had two full battens on top and two other regular battens.  It was not loose footed, something that I would consider.  I do not recall the sailmaker, but Wes might supply that.  I know that he did a bunch of research on his selection before he purchased.  He would be worth talking to.

regards charlie

Tim Gardner

Hey Terry, Do you sail on Fern Ridge lake?  Or do you keep your 27 on the coast?
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

BobK

I purchased a new main and 135 jib for my 27 from FX sails in Charleston, SC.  Both sails are offshore with a 5 yr guarantee.  The main is loose footed with two reef points and two top full battens and two regular.  I have been real pleased with them.  You can get an instant quote off their website.
BobK 

wes

Terry, there are many useful posts on this site about the merits of various sailmakers. A search from the home page on "new sails" should turn up some good bedtime reading.

My new 27 sails that Charlie refers to above were purchased from National Sail, which is the Florida sales office of Rolly Tasker Sails in Thailand. So yes, they are made offshore, but the quality is excellent, delivery time was quick, Dirk in the Florida office was very helpful, and the fit was perfect with no measuring. I've now purchased sails for both my 19 and 27 from National.

As Bob23 and others have pointed out, a local sailmaker will likely spend more time with you, determining the cut and fabric that will best suit your boat, your home waters and your sailing style. But you will almost certainly pay considerably more. I did not feel that with my current level of expertise it would be worth the difference. It's a personal and budgetary decision.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Tney88

Quote from: Tim Gardner on November 15, 2014, 04:33:05 PM
Hey Terry, Do you sail on Fern Ridge lake?  Or do you keep your 27 on the coast?
TG

Hi, we just bought the boat in August, hauled it up from Alameda, CA.  We have only sailed it on SF Bay for the test sail, and then hauled it on up to Anacortes for two weeks in the Salish Sea.  It is on it's trailer in our yard for the winter now.  We will be putting it in Fern Ridge in the spring and keep it at Richardson Marina, replacing the Catalina 25 that we just sold.  The ports on the Oregon coast just don't suit us, you're either in a relatively small bay/river, or you're over the bar and in the ocean.  The boat may be up to that, but the crew isn't there yet.

Regards,

Terry Ney
Com-Pac 27 "Paradiso"
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR