a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Furler Failure

Started by Vectordirector, November 07, 2014, 04:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vectordirector

Went out in light winds for my first sail on Charlotte Harbor, my 83 year old neighbour Arthur wanted to check out my boat as he says he's getting too old for his Corsair 24.  Long story short, went to furl the jib and the furler exploded leaving the cup separated from the drum.  Pinned the mast and headed in without further incident.  I can't figure out how to get it back together.  Looks like it is missing a pin where the turnbuckle connects to the cup.  I hope it can be fixed in the water as I really don't want to have to go get my trailer and pull the boat out.  We'll see what happens.  Any CDI FF1 experts out there?

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

MacGyver

Can you post any pictures? These systems are so simple that any and all parts can be bought and installed while the mast is up.
I installed my whole system while my mast was up and boat in the water, no issues.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vectordirector

thanks Mac, I'll take some pics tomorrow and post em up.  I'm sure it is something simple. I'm guessing I might unattach the sail at the bottom  to loosen the drum, not fun as the knots at the bottom of the sail are really tight.  then move the drum up and reattach the cup.  I think the only part missing is the cotter pin at the end of the bolt coming out of the bottom of the cup.  But I'm not sure as I've never seen one of these taken apart and the owner's manual is pretty useless.  If you have installed one then I am sure you can figure it out.   Pics coming.

Thanks again,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

MacGyver

I have a FF2 on my 19XL, and install them for a living, so once I see it I should be able to guide you through a repair and what parts you need to be looking for overall.

These things barely ever have anything wrong with them, so little parts.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Vectordirector

Pics:
I can't seem to get it working.  here is the link: http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/bhobgood1/media/IMG_0199.jpg.html
and the other:  http://s1112.photobucket.com/user/bhobgood1/media/IMG_0200.jpg.html

Hope those work.  If not I can PM or email

I've got an appointment with Jim Gurensey at Gulf Island Sails for Monday.  Hope I can get it fixed before then. 

Can you see the pics?

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

MacGyver

Vector,

The drum looks deformed, but with how those drums are made they are not hard to reform. On a workbench or concrete (NOT that nice counter top, your signifigant other will kill you) Push down on the bottom with the top facing down to realign that top part. Other than that it doesnt look like a problem to me.
All the parts for that section are there, and I notice this is not a BB version, no problem.
I would clean up that washer, and that bushing in the bottom, reassemble, then reinstall.

There is one thing that I do see to the left of the drum housing, that is kind of boggling my mind, like a long thin thing there......

Anyway, be sure to reinstall keeper pins (cotter pins) in the turnbuckle threaded stud holes, once you've readjusted the forestay tightness, to prevent it from coming loose when in use, and you should be set to go.

Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to check this multiple times today and the next few days to help you keep going to meet your deadline.

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

Craig

Jim should be able to get you up and running w/no problem assuming you don't get it fixed first. Rainy day today so you aren't missing out on sail time. I agree w/Mac, what IS that wire-y-looking thing?
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Vectordirector

it is a wire attached to a spring loaded Ronstan pin.  It is used to attach the furler to the bowsprit.  I works quite well for that.  I hate the ones on the mast and don't use them there.  I bought some ball end quick pins like I used on my Hobie for the mast.  They work great.  Well, better.  It sometimes takes a while to get them lined up when putting the mast up and down solo.  Works better then the Ronstans.  For me.  Some of you may disagree.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Vectordirector

Ok, after talking with Jim @ Gulf Island Sails, I got the furler reassambled and reinstalled.  Al sent some pics as he was putting his boat together that really helped too.  Thanks Al.  Just a cotter pin that let loose.  Loosened up the sail, pushed up the drum, reattached the cup on the turnbuckle.  Reversed the process and all is good.  I put in a ring ding instead, Jim's recommendation.  We'll see how it holds up.  Nice thing about the Eclipse, if you lose the furler, the mast doesn't come down. Fairly easy fix this time.  It is always something with boats.

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

skip1930

" Accident don't happen. You have to let them happen "
Dad always said that after 33 years in the Navy. 1933 to 1966.
Airborne anti submarine warfare.

When I got my first car dad dragged me out into the drive way and pointing to it said, "See that thing? It's a missile, it will kill you if you let it."

Keep a sharper eye on the boat and it's components.

skip.

Vectordirector

Indeed.  A lesson learned over 30 years of Air Traffic Control.  Late in my career, the FAA went to a "Fix on Fail" method of maintenance on various equipment, radios, ILS's, even VORs and radar systems.  All to save money and help with chronic under-staffing and under-training of the technicians.   Didn't work so well.  Just before I retired, the FAA was all about changing to a "safety culture" with emphasis on risk mitigation.  They didn't change the fix on fail system though.  They are hoping to milk the current system until the wonderful sat based "NEXGEN" system comes on line in 10 years.  Good luck with that.  Google " FAA Advanced Automation System" for the story of the mid 80's FAA $4billion rathole.  They are trying again, this time to the tune of $20Billion. 

I'm still learning proper maintenance on my boat.  I'm coming from a sunfish and a hobie, all fresh water.  Minimal maintenance with those.   

I don't call them accidents anymore.  The term accident is, I feel, a misnomer, implying that there was no way to prevent it from happening.    What they are are Humans, including myself, occasionally, doing stupid stuff.    My number one?  Distracted driving.  Texting/reading/applying makeup/eating/etc.  while driving a motor vehicle is utter proof of the inherent stupidity of people.  That Laws banning such activities have to be passed make it even more so. 

Thanks for the reminder.  Preventative maintenance for the win!

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

skip1930

My buddy Steve has a CP-19 with a CDI FF1.

After years of 'sticking the stick up' and rigging the sails neither one of use can figure out how that thing works.
Every session is hardly a joy cyphering out that halyard.
And using this furler on a folding mast? I can't imagine.

skip.

Vectordirector

The Eclipse is quite easy to rig.   I can do it myself in 30 minutes, road to ramp.  There are a lot of steps, but if you do it methodically it isn't bad.  The key to the whole thing is the arch on the back of the boat.  It works as a mast and boom crutch.  It allows one person to slide the mast back from its trailering position, to the hinge, where it is pinned.  Then the ginpole and boom vang are attached to the spinnaker halyard.  The boom vang is then used to pull the mast up.  It has a 6:1 block system that takes the load off.  It takes about 10 minutes to rig the mast raising system and get the mast up.  The boom is stored on the mast with the main attached and the jib is stored either in the cabin or strapped to the mast with the furler still attached wrapped by the jibsheets.   Once the mast is up and pinned, you attach the furler to the bowsprit with one toggle pin.  Then run the furling line aft and thread the jibsheets.   Rudder takes 5 minutes, I put it in the jeep when trailering the boat.  That's really it. It works quite well.  The rest is launching, coolers,etc. 

I've never rigged a 19, I don't know how the forestay is set up,  sounds different though.  The FF1 has the halyard tied off near the drum, I don't ever mess with it.  I've never needed to remove the jib from the luff.  The CDI website has instructions on how to assemble the furler.  I think once you see that you'll have no problem.  I can email the file if you need. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

I have had a CDI on 3 different boats, a Precision 18, P-21 and now the Eclipse.  Honestly I have never had any difficulties with them.  They are simple, do a reasonably good job of furling down a Genoa and can stand the riggers of stepping and unstepping the mast.  When I put a 165 Genoa on my P-21, I just about exceeded the drum's line capability and it would get stuck.  Then, a friend at the marina I am at during the summer suggested, balling up all the furler line in the palm of my hand and spraying it liberally with McLube.  End of problem.  I sprayed the line annually on the P-21 (13 years) and have done the Eclipse when I bought her last summer.  So far no problems.  Tomorrow I will set up the Eclipse for the summer after the drive home and will McLube the line, the cleats and anything else that should move.

Vectordirector

Al,

Have you checked to see if Pistakee lake isn't still frozen?  I kid, but the thought did cross my mind.  It got mighty cold up there in February, wasn't lake Michigan frozen over completely?
Have you been out to your house out west?  That tornado last week had to pass pretty close.  Hope all is well.  See you in May or June, still figuring out a plan for graduation. 

Vec
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold