a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Horizon trailer mods

Started by raghaulerII, October 24, 2014, 09:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raghaulerII

As I was looking to buy my Horizon I remember seeing a ladder added to the trailer.  Having to take a step ladder just added to the congestion in the back of my tow vehicle so last winter I added the ladder and a platform to the front of the trailer.  As you can see in the picture the trailer has new axles with electric brakes, step on fenders, and numerous other additions. I am hoping others will add pictures in the Horizon folder of modifications made to their Horizons, both boat and trailer.

Lazar

Love the platform and ladder, but can't find it anywhere online. Help..please.

rbh1515

2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Lazar

Well, that would explain it.. Still wish I had one.

Jeff

Nice trailer. It makes getting there fun too! BTW - any advice on setting the hull bunks for fit? The keel bunks seem straight forward, but the side hull bunks - some photo's I've seen have the bunks supporting only a couple feet of hull. Is it better to maximize the hull contact or does that make it harder to launch or re-trailer?

raghaulerII

My bunks contact the hull along 90% of their length.  I moved a floor jack from support to support and pushed the bunk to the position I wanted and snugged the bolts.  I float the boat off and on so I back in until the front of the bunk is just covered with water. Most launches I use this puts the rear tires of my truck with the water almost up to the rim.  I back in fairly close to the dock which allows me to step to my platform and not get wet. I live in central Michigan and like to sail the Great Lakes which means a 100 mile drive east or west and close to 200 north. All that hauling prompted my trailer modifications.  The larger tires for peace of mind.  The electric brakes to replace the ones that failed on the first pull due to a severed hydraulic line. My tires used to rub the fenders which was unnerving and had actually bent one of the fenders.  I added 3/16" tubing the length of the trailer and the front roller system to stop the flex that had wore out the roller on the front of the bow. I'm thinking I do more long distance hauling than most Horizon owners as I don't hear people commenting on their trailers much. 

Subsailor637

Hey, Rag thanks for posting the info and pictures, trailer (and boat) looks great!  This is off topic but was wondering what you used for bottom paint on your Horizon?  My experience over the past several years has been with large sloops that stayed in water on Lake Michigan so VC17 was paint of choice.  Thanks
2013 ComPac Horizon Cat DOLPHIN
Punta Gorda FL

raghaulerII

Quote from: Subsailor637 on November 25, 2014, 09:08:51 PM
Hey, Rag thanks for posting the info and pictures, trailer (and boat) looks great!  This is off topic but was wondering what you used for bottom paint on your Horizon?  My experience over the past several years has been with large sloops that stayed in water on Lake Michigan so VC17 was paint of choice.  Thanks

Sorry about my slow response. I don't have bottom paint on Indigo.  She rarely sits in the water for more than a few days and spends her time between outings in the barn.  I carry towels and as soon as I pull I head for shade, if I can, and wipe her down.

CaptRon28

As far as my trailer, the most important mod I made was converting it to 4 wheel disc brakes. Frequent dunks into salt water was the main reason, but I might have done it even if it only went into fresh water. That conversion also required replacing the tiny 10 inch wheels with 12's. I'm happier with the bigger wheels and tires too - the 10 inchers were probably doing twice the revolutions of the truck tires.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"