a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

TILLER CLUTCH

Started by MKBLK, October 02, 2014, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKBLK

Recently, I purchased a WaveFront TillerClutch. This is the best gadget ever! I am extremely pleased with it and am grateful that I had installed it on my CP16 Pegasus prior to my last sail on Barnegat Bay. I can't praise it enough. No longer was it necessary to maintain a grip on the tiller. This thing works great.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Jim23

I agree Marty...the Tiller Clutch has been the most utilized upgrade on my boat. I used to wrap a line around the tiller and stern cleats but it never held for long. At first I thought it was a little pricey for what you get but it's very well built and has proven to be a valuable tool.

Bob23

Jim:
   You've found that it works well on your 23, which are famous for thier extreme weather helm? The helm doesn't overcome the clutch?
Bob23

Jim23

Bob23,

So far it's held in all conditions without issue, however, I typically release it in heavy weather (15+). I really only do that because the tiller requires more of my attention at that point. I have not stress tested it to see what the clutch is capable of, just haven't seen it slip yet. I do have a foiled rudder so weather helm might be less than other boats.

-Jim

Bob23

I also have a foiled rudder blade but I've been lax in tuning my rig this year. Weather helm is better than it used to be with the flat blade but your'e right: Above 15 knots and the tiller should be held.
Thanks!
Bob23

relamb

I used a Davis Tiller Tamer on both my CP16 and CP23, would not do without one.  tighten the knob enough to hold the tiller where you want it, yet you can still move it if needed with one hand.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

capt_nemo

DITTO on the Davis Tiller Tamer.

It has a distinct advantage over the ON - OFF ONLY settings of the Tiller Clutch in that you can tighten the knob on the line enough to hold the tiller in place and yet still move it immediately for fine tuning adjustment or emergency maneuvers.

I've sailed solo with one for years and love it!

capt_nemo

Bob23

While Rick and Nemo are correct, I find my Davis doesn't have enough bite to hold the tiller tight enough. I've tried different lines and it seems to make no difference. If the tiller his held tight, during a gust, the boat will still naturally round up a bit. I'll let you know how both work: the Clutch mounts on the bottom so I'll leave my Tamer mounted on top and we'll do a side by side comparison.
Bob23

mattman

The best method I have used for years is a sail tie around the tiller with a bungee on each side which can be looped for tension. The advantages include a bit of play that allows the tiller to move back and forth around the seas or through the puffs then return to the original position. Plus it only costs a buck or two. During the CLR rally several took a long look at the simple setup. Anymore I rarely take the tamer off the tiller, just nudge it a skosh to adjust trim. Happy sailing.

BruceW

I hated the old Davis I had, went to the CanSail Tiller lock, thought it was the best that could be made. I remember Pete from Wavefront sailing with me telling me he had an idea. Wow, I really liked the Tillerclutch. I sold the boat that had it, and went with bungees for so long that even though I bought a tiller clutch for the CP23, I keep forgetting to use it. Actually I need to figure out where to attach it. Probably need to put a hook and a jamb cleat on somewhere.

It's funny about preferences. The two guys on here who like the Davis are the only people I have EVER seen who do; hey, I have benefitted from their knowledge in other areas, so I'm just going to figure, nobody's perfect!, haha.

Anyway, I am happy for Pete, who had the idea, and made it happen.

Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Salty19

Quote from: capt_nemo on October 02, 2014, 06:40:33 PM
DITTO on the Davis Tiller Tamer.

It has a distinct advantage over the ON - OFF ONLY settings of the Tiller Clutch in that you can tighten the knob on the line enough to hold the tiller in place and yet still move it immediately for fine tuning adjustment or emergency maneuvers.

I've sailed solo with one for years and love it!

capt_nemo

I respectfully disagree.  The Tiller clutch doesn't hold the line enough to prevent you from moving the tiller. The force required to move the tiller while "locked" isn't huge at all.  Enough to hold weather helm, but really no problem to bump it slightly for minor movements or all the way over should you need it.  You'll wear the line faster, but no biggie that can be replaced every few years.

And it's super easy to just slightly pull the engagement lever, move the tiller and release lever to hold in a new position should you not want to push manually.  Beats unscrewing and rescrewing the Davis model, without a doubt.

I didn't like the Davis tiller tamer from the moment I installed one. Too hard to use, bulky (line would catch on it), and somewhat flimsy. IMO.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

MHardy

Mattman, any chance that you could post a picture of your setup? It sounds good but I'm having trouble understanding how it works. Thanks.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

mattman

Sorry no pic but here is a vid of one that I found, the only difference is that i have a sailtie that wraps around the tiller to adjust the angle, I do like this guys method of tension, may make something like this up this winter. also I go perpendicular to the tiller not back towards the cleats aft.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lZOIwSI5U

MKBLK

Bob23 - With all the action at BBB-2014 you forgot to check out mine. You may be pleased to know that they do offer a heavier (tighter bite) clutch for larger boats. Check it out at www.wavefrontmarine.com. On the trip back to the marina, I only had to make one or two adjustments. On the downside: One can easily fall asleep while enjoying the ride. That trip back was the most relaxed ever. Also, I guess it's possible that if you fall off your boat, you can wave bye, bye. It would probably be a good idea when going forward to wear a tether unless, of course, you have crew.

Marty K.

From the Wavefront FAQ's: "The standard TillerClutch is designed to hold the tiller fast for all but the lightest trailerable sailboats and day sailors sailing in above average conditions. By design, these boats tend to generate less than 15 lb of pull on your tiller hand due to weather helm. But if you have a stout keel boat who's tiller frequently gives you a 20-plus lb. workout, we recommend the extra holding power of the TillerClutchX instead. The models are identical on the outside, but, the "X" offers double the holding power, has a slightly harsher clicking action in the lever, and requires more force on the tiller to override it. It is not recommended for trailerable-size boats."
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

philb Junkie19

I thought a line from stern cleat to stern cleat with two turns around the tiller worked well on my previous 16 so maybe my expectations weren't high but the new, this summer, 19 came with a tiller tamer mounted under the tiller. It was great. I used it with some cheap (1/4" maybe) nylon 3 strand stretched to a pair stern mounted of jam cleats.  Just set the tension for easy tiller adjustments as you find the right balance to stay on course.  It meant more relaxed sailing but I found that I often wanted to feel the rudder and how different conditions affected it especially with a new boat. A yank on the rope at the jam cleats gave the tiller back to me. I do agree the tiller tamer is not rugged. When first rigging it I somehow broke off a small piece of plastic which didn't affect how it worked.  I took Simrad tiller pilot from the 16 and set the 19 up for it but have barely used it.