a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

rudder

Started by rogerschwake, September 22, 2014, 11:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Ordered and received a rod to hold the rudder in the down position from Com-Pac,$105 boat bucks. The rod works great for holding the rudder in the down position and your sure its down by just looking back and you can see the rod is in the down. Much better than leaning over the transom to push it down or using the boat hook to push it down. But now I have no easy way to lock the rudder in the up position when I'm loading the boat on the trailer to take the it out of the water. I pin the rudder up for traveling on the road, but to do this from the boat in the water I'd be leaning over the transom again, just what I was trying to get away from. Any good ideas from anyone out there would be appreciated.

ROGER

Craig

Run a line or strong bungee from the rod handle to the boom gallows. That is what I do on the HC to keep the rudder out of the water when in the slip.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

Two recommendations for the rod, which I also have and use with my foiled rudder.

First, make sure that when the rudder and rod are locked down, that the rudder is indeed ALLTHE WAY FORWARD against its stop. This prevents any additional weather helm from developing. If there is any play whatsoever. you should bend the rod to achieve a FULLY FORWARD rudder.

Second, when retrieving the boat use the unlocked rod to raise the rudder placing the small welded stainless square bar (that goes between the rudder cheeks when down) on top of the Delrin bar added to the rudder head. There should be a groove etched in the Delrin to catch the bottom edge of the bar holding the rudder up. Here is where Craig recommends adding a bungee cord (or line) to gallows.  I agree with Craig on the need for a bungee but my bungee cord goes around the rudder head to hold the rod firmly back. I am going one step further. I'll take a small round file and work a shallow "U" shaped groove in the aft facing edge of the Delrin bar to fit the rod diameter. This will "Capture" the round rod preventing athwartships movement and together with bungee around rudder head do the job of securing the rod and rudder in the up position. I still sometimes lean over the transom and tighten the locking bolt handle. Old habits I suppose.

I too pin the rudder for traveling as part of rigging for travel, but AFTER the boat is out of the water and comfortably reached by my 70 year old body.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

rogerschwake

Thanks for all the help. I don't know how made the rudder on my boat, it was on the boat when I bought it used. It is foiled but has square corners, nothing like your rudder Capt. Nemo boat. The square block on the rod is 4" below the delrin bar with the rudder as far up as it can travel. I do have a bungee cord around the rod to help hold it in place but no notch yet. It looks like a bungee cord around the boom gallows is my best bet.

ROGER

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

Speaking in the blind, the rod may have fit another rudder but when installed on the current rudder (probably an Ida Sailor Rudder) won't reach 4 " higher to lock UP. Could the rod mount position on the rudder possibly be moved to lock in both DOWN and UP positions? if not, you'll just have to do the best you can to achieve what you want. After all, you are the CAPTAIN aren't you?

Good luck and sail safely.

capt_nemo

sjaffess

Do you have a picture of that rod and where it is attached