a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2014 Sun Cat National Championship Regatta

Started by Tom Ray, August 06, 2014, 06:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Ray

Fall is just around the corner and it's time once again to plan for the Sun Cat Nationals!

I'm looking at October 31 - November 1 or November 7 - November 8 as the best weekends this year.

Anyone have a preference or a problem with those dates?

http://www.suncatnationals.com

reedtg3

Hi Tom-
Either weekend works for us.  The only difference I see is that the first weekend will still have DST but the second weekend won't.
Tom & Els
Suncat 377
Cattail

Tom Ray

That's a good point. Having the extra daylight at the end of the day is nice.

Also, Punta Gorda puts on a pretty good Halloween show, decorating most of the houses in the old parts of town and closing streets.

I've avoided holding the Nationals on the Halloween holiday in the past just because people often have holiday plans, but maybe this is the year to have the two coincide.

reedtg3

Tom Ray

Sonja didn't like the idea of holding the Nationals on a holiday so the races will happen the following weekend.

Mark Your Calendars! Sun Cat Nationals November 7-8, 2014

Tom Ray

Scott's two-time national championship-winning sail is for sale and available for use at this year's Sun Cat Nationals.

http://www.suncatnationals.com/championship-winning-sun-cat-sail-for-sale

Dale J D

SEE you at the nationals.  Looking forward to it.........

Vectordirector

Hey guys,

Can a recently arrived Eclipse owner join the fun?  I'll just hang around and party.  My racing skills are way too rusty to participate, plus, I'd smoke you all anyway! KIDDING!

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Tom Ray

Yes, we'd welcome an Eclipse owner!

This year, my friend Dennis from the Charlotte Harbor Community Sailing Center decided to put on a Portsmouth Winter Series. He set 11/8 as a race day about the same time I set that as the date for the Sun Cat Nationals.

I decided to resolve this conflict by merging the events. I'm going to talk to Dennis today about getting us a separate class start, but what's going to happen is, the Sun Cat Class is invading the Portsmouth Series!

If you wish to race, contact Dennis through the site above and register for the Portsmouth race. If you just want to sail around the racing fleet, have fun and try to stay out of the way.

We will have a cocktail party/skipper's meeting at our place Friday night, Attendance is optional, of course. Saturday night's awards dinner will be at my neighbor's restaurant, as it was last year. As always, the soon-to-be-coveted Championship Trophy Cup will be a red plastic Solo cup with the name of the winning boat scrawled on it with a Sharpie Marker. Dennis may have better trophies for the Portsmouth boats. Or not. ;)

Tom Ray

By the way, there was supposed to be a Sun Cat Regional Championship (that's when one or more Sun Cats shows up on the harbor) today, but the forecast looks scary. 20-25 with gale force gusts.

I'm thinking of postponing the Regionals until tomorrow.

Dale J D

I HAVE 3 handmade suncat stain glass trophies  to donate for the nationals.

Vectordirector

Glad to see you guys take this so seriously!   I have been sailing on Lake Geneva, WI. before I decided to move down here.    It is the home yacht club of Buddy Melges and the scow racing and Melges 24 fleets are something to behold.  They take their racing very seriously.  I just tried to stay out of their way.  The boats are so fast that that is easier said than done,.  Very nice people though. 

I'll try to get up there on Saturday and sail around.  Checking out the Portsmouth race web site now. 

Yeah, today doesn't look so good. 

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Tom Ray

Quote from: Dale J D on November 01, 2014, 10:38:11 AM
I HAVE 3 handmade suncat stain glass trophies  to donate for the nationals.

Very cool, Dale!

Vectordirector, we try to have all the fun and enthusiasm of those scow racers in the Sun Cat Class, but we're pretty far from having the skills. Many participants have little or no actual racing experience. We care a whole lot less than scow racers about who wins, we just want more boats on the water.

Although Dale may have messed things up. Now I want one of those trophies! ;)

Tom Ray

Dale J D

RACE TIME FORCAST.    79 with WINDS S 5 to 10.