a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

bottom paint

Started by kickingbug1, June 18, 2014, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

we just bought a bigger boat that at one time had been bottom painted (i dont know what with). anyway since i dont plan on keeping the boat in the water i was wondering what type of paint i could use. the boat will be trailer sailed and kept in a garage when not on the water. im thinking that sanding it down and painting it with automotive paint
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

MacGyver

If you use automotive paint, it might be best to use Urethane Laquer (I think that was the right name......) I have used it on our Jon boats at work and it has held up great. I have also painted some bathtubs with it as well, which turned out well.

Otherwise, you could take it down to the Gelkote and paint with Brightsides paint or that Perfection. I know a guy using brightsides, and it looks fairly well, almost like stock finish.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Mac:
   I thought Brightsides was not supposed to be used below the waterline. I haven't used it for a while so I could be wrong.
Bob23

MacGyver

He dry sails the boat, so I would think he would be okay. But now that I think of it, he does do CLR, and that is a week long roughly...... I will check when I am at work today just to be sure.

Thanks for bringing that up Bob23, I think you might be right.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

Craig

Automotive paint? Not sure that would be a good idea unless as Mac says you use a polyurethane. Even then I would go with a marine formulation from one of the major producers. IMHO the biggest challenge would be getting a pristine surface prior to application of ANY paint. Do you know what kind of bottom paint(ablative, non-ablative)is on it now? What kind of shape is it in? Having anti fouling paint on a dry sailed boat is not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the buffable vinyls can give decent protection and a slick surface if you do wind up keeping the boat in the water(like Mac said, CLR for example) for an extended period of time. Assuming the present paint is in decent shape recoating with a like paint would require the least amount of work and be the most cost effective.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

crazycarl

my 15'r has brightsides on the bottom.

the longest the boat has ever been in the water is about 20 hours.

if i remember correctly, 72 hours is max for submersion, after that it absorbs water.

there was 1 spring when i removed the winter tarp, i found standing water on the deck (also painted with brightsides) and
the paint had bubble were there was water.

i carefully padded it dry and used a blow-dryer to shrink the paint.  today you'd never know it happened.

cc
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

mattman

Kick, that boat may have a grey epoxy barrier coat from the factory, they started putting that on standard about 86ish, I know both my 89's had a barrier coat, and a friends 87 was coated. Maybe a good wetsanding (for safety), down to the epoxy would provide a nice look. If you find gelcoat under it all, I would still use an epoxy barrier coat as a final finish. Seems to me more appropriate than other options plus you will easily recoup the cost at time of re-sale.

kickingbug1

thanks for the input fellas-----and jason i decided to go with the furler so next time i see you ill give your jib back-----you still want to use the loos gauge?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

MacGyver

Yes, I would like to borrow it, just to see what my rig might supposed to be at.

I am glad to hear you are back to the furler, you will like that for sure

Mac
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

yeah the furler spoils a guy. i know when i went back to a hank on jib on the cp16 (i forget the reason) i couldnt wait to put my furler back on. its more of a chore to step the mast (i can still muscle it up) but i think its worth the effort. if we go tomorrow morning ill stop by work and give the the jib and the gauge. and a thank you in advance,